Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMak 5k formatted and partitioned my external drives, all my data is lost

Hello everyone,

its my first time starting a discussion but i think is necessary now.

I have a iMac 5k running OSX 10.10.5

Last night i got back home and I connected my passport 2 tb to my computer and what I find out was that the mac formatted my drive and created 2 partitions in it, one called Mybook and one called EFI.

I have no access to any data on it, and its very frustrating because I had all my childhood Pictures.

Does anyone know what to do? why did that happened?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 8:16 PM

2 replies

Aug 30, 2015 8:31 PM in response to mr.Bru

OS X cannot format a HD without a user doing the work, therefore your theory that "he mac formatted my drive and created 2 partitions in it, one called Mybook and one called EFI." is impossible. Someone had to have had access of your system and knowledge of how to format and partition drives.

You should have had a backup of your photos, operating any computer without a minimum of 1 backup will eventually have a consequence. Many experienced users on these forums have a minimum of 2 backups, because backups can fail too.

Based on your post, my guess is you did not have any backup, is that correct?

Aug 30, 2015 8:38 PM in response to rkaufmann87

This is the complete story.

I have 2 lacie thunderbolt d2 6tb each.

and the smaller 2tb my passport. I found all 3 of them formatted, renamed and partitioned.

Nobody had access to it. I am aware of the fact that a mac cant format itself. but this was the strangest thing I have seen in my life, I already run diskWarrior to fix the permissions but that didn't do the trick.

I am a videographer I had all my videos in the 3 drives.

I was doing backups of one another daily. what I lost on this drives was very important to me.

iMak 5k formatted and partitioned my external drives, all my data is lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.