Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I restore the latest version of a playlist that randomly disappeared?

One of my playlists I created randomly reverted back to a version of it 3 years ago. I did nothing out of the ordinary. Just went to play it on my iPhone 6 as usual and noticed that it was half the size and an older version of it. So the playlist itself is not gone, but a whole slew of songs are! I still have all the missing music in my Library just not in the list anymore. This is weird and has never happened before.

Both older versions are on my Macbook air on on my phone now.... the latest version has mysteriously vanished.

It would take way too long to go through and find all those missing songs and put them back on, not to mention highly annoying.

I tried even adding a song to the playlist to the old version as it is now....and it won't even let me do that. It says it adds the song, but it does not show up in the playlist.

Please help! This is ridiculous.

The operating system is OX S YOSEMITE 10.10.2

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 10:27 PM

1 reply

Aug 31, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Bellalover

Perhaps I am not understanding fully but it would be very difficult to achieve what I think you are saying even if I tried. Playlists are part of the iTunes Library.itl file. To start from a 3 year old .itl would require deliberate renaming and relocating an older copy of the .itl file. Then your entire library listing would revert to a 3 year old version, not just one playlist.

If you are subscribed to Apple Music (and it helps to say if you are) unusual things may happen but since Apple Music is only a month old I don't know how it would have come across a 3 year old version of a playlist. Perhaps you still have the old playlist on your computer tucked away in a corner of the library and Apple Music picked up on that when you started the service?

how do I restore the latest version of a playlist that randomly disappeared?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.