Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions are lost and/or not inherited after saving to shared drive

Hello everybody,

We have a small network consisting of 6 MacMinis (10.10.5) and one additional MacMini (10.10.5 + Server 4.1.5), which serves as a shared drive (I will refer to it as "server" in this text). Everyone accesses the server via AFP; we only use static IP-addresses; the server is not used as a DHCP server. There is a user account for every single user. Also, there are two distinct user groups: One which includes all users and another, which includes a smaller number of the users. This was done so we don't have to set permissions on an individual level but still are able to exclude some users from accessing certain subfolders.

The problem: Sometimes, not always, when saving a file to a server folder, the file inexplicably becomes "read-only" (as displayed in the program header next to the file name) or even inaccessible for all users/groups. To work with the file again, we have to save it locally or/and manually reset the permissions with the Admin account or the Server.app. This problem does not seem to follow a specific pattern. It just sometimes occurs and sometimes it doesn't. My first guess was that it is part of a well known issue with Office for Mac, but it also occurs with other programs and files.

I tried to reset permissions with the Server.app (just as described here Re: Permission mess and here Re: permissions issues), which sometimes works temporarily, and I used the repair tool, which doesn't affect the problem at all. I have not tried, and would like to avoid, the most drastic solution; i.e., to rebuild the whole Server OS and permissions from scratch.

Currently, we use a workaround by copying the file to the desktop to work with it. After saving the file we replace the server document. Most of the time this works like a charm, but is pretty annoying in the long run.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 12:32 AM

5 replies

Aug 31, 2015 10:29 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

What do you get from "ls -@Oaen" with one of the problem files as the argument?

I get:

-rw-rw---- 1 1025 1025 - 36776 31 Aug 19:00 Abb PWYWv2.pptx

-rw-rw---- 1 1025 1025 - 42435 31 Aug 19:16 Abb PWYWv3.pptx

I've had problems with both files. The odd thing is that sometimes for some clients it works just fine and for others I have to reallocate the permissions every now and then.

Sep 1, 2015 7:38 AM in response to herrmay

I don't know why the heritable ACL's weren't set. You can set them manually with chmod(1), or you could simplify your life by creating one or maybe two local sharing-only users on the server to own the files, and having all clients mount the share with those credentials. That's the best way to avoid permission issues when multiple clients need read-write access to the same data.

Permissions are lost and/or not inherited after saving to shared drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.