Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

winmail.dat files on my phone but not on spouse

Hi

This is strange. I'm receiving mail from childrens school and they sending from outlook or office. When I'm receiving my mail either on the phone or computer they are in a winmail.dat format. I know by know why this could happen and also how to open them with external applications. The strange thing is that my spouse is not getting the winmail.dat file, she's getting the word and pdf files. Were both using 5S, we both have Google Apps accounts, so everything is the same. Is there a setting somewhere that I missed or what is going on?

Thanks

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 5:24 AM

3 replies

Sep 1, 2015 9:09 AM in response to iJorn

Hello iJorn,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see from your post that you're seeing a windmill.dat file attachment on your iPhone from certain email addresses. Check out the information below on why this happens, and how to avoid seeing those attachments.

You can ignore winmail.dat attachments, which are related to the email app that the sender is using.

If you receive an email message sent from a Microsoft email app such as Outlook or Microsoft Exchange, the message might include an attachment with "winmail.dat" in the name. The attachment doesn't appear in the Microsoft email app, but it does appear in Mail, and in other apps it may appear as a MIME section named "application/ms-tnef."

This occurs when the sender composed a message that includes additional information about text attributes such as font, color, boldfacing, or underlining. To avoid seeing these attachments in the future, ask the sender to turn off the option in their email app to send the message in Microsoft rich text format. More information is available in Microsoft's description of the Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format (TNEF).

If you get an email message with a winmail.dat attachment on your Mac - Apple Support

Take care.

Sep 1, 2015 10:06 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks, I did found that and other useful information when searching Internet. The strange thing is that my spouse who getting mail from the same person is seeing the files attached, one pdf and one .doc, while getting the winmail.dat file. Where both using updated iphone 5s and we're both using Google apps accounts with apples build email client.

winmail.dat files on my phone but not on spouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.