Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange rasterisation with 3D text!

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with the last version of motion 5: I want to place a 3D text on a rectangle (imagine that the 3D text is on a table) but when I rotate the camera under the rectangle... the 3D text appears like it is rasterised! The same happen with a 2D text inserted in the same group of the 3D text.

Here a video that will explain the problem: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jdnu584495vqg4/ProblemaMotion.mov?dl=0

PS: If I made mistake typing, excuse me but I am Italian

Motion 5, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2015 2:14 PM

That's exactly right. And, everybody has the same problem.

3D and 2D don't really mix. You either have to limit your view and arrange layers in a specific order, or use all 3D elements (you will lose the ability to get reflections of other 3D elements in a scene — the only reflections you get are with the Environments.)

It's not difficult to create a 3D plane. There are plenty of rectangular shapes in the Unicode character set. All you need to do is, at the text prompt in the canvas, type Control - Command - Space and it will call up the unicode character viewer (it takes abut 2-3 seconds... be patient.) You should be able to find characters like: ▂, ▃, ▄, ▅, ▆, ▇, ▎, ▍, ▋, ▊, ◼as well as a vast array of other characters. Just double click the character and it will be inserted at the carat. You can size characters up to about 5000 (Motion will tell you if you've gone too far.) If you're going to be using the unicode characters frequently, I recommend Add to Favorites (top right hand side under the current selected character display) so you can easily find it again from the Favorites category (left hand column list.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2015 2:14 PM in response to gioel4

That's exactly right. And, everybody has the same problem.

3D and 2D don't really mix. You either have to limit your view and arrange layers in a specific order, or use all 3D elements (you will lose the ability to get reflections of other 3D elements in a scene — the only reflections you get are with the Environments.)

It's not difficult to create a 3D plane. There are plenty of rectangular shapes in the Unicode character set. All you need to do is, at the text prompt in the canvas, type Control - Command - Space and it will call up the unicode character viewer (it takes abut 2-3 seconds... be patient.) You should be able to find characters like: ▂, ▃, ▄, ▅, ▆, ▇, ▎, ▍, ▋, ▊, ◼as well as a vast array of other characters. Just double click the character and it will be inserted at the carat. You can size characters up to about 5000 (Motion will tell you if you've gone too far.) If you're going to be using the unicode characters frequently, I recommend Add to Favorites (top right hand side under the current selected character display) so you can easily find it again from the Favorites category (left hand column list.)

Strange rasterisation with 3D text!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.