Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 extremely slow WiFi

All,

I am having ongoing issues with my iPhone 6 and home WiFi connection. The connection is either extremely slow to load web pages (or data in apps), or cannot load them at all. The issue is intermittent, but seemingly has an issue more often than not. Reverting to 4G/LTE connection results in the pages immediately loading.

The iPhone is showing 3 bars of WiFi signal strength. The underlying internet connection itself is strong; at the same time as the iPhone cannot load web pages, my Samsung tablet is returning ping 4ms, download 65 mbps and upload 95mbps using Ookla speed test and has no issues with basic web browsing. The iPhone won't even get past the "preparing" status in the same app at the same time as the Tablet is working successfully. Likewise the laptop, connected by WiFi, has no connection issues and returns great results on the Ookla website.

On the odd occasion that the iPhone DOES work on WiFi at the same time as the tablet (or in the case of a speed test, immediately after), it will often return results along the lines of 30ms ping, 9mbps download, significantly slower than the tablet. Occasionally it does a little better, such as just now when it returned ~32mbps for upload and download, right after the laptop returned 90/70 respectively.

I have already been through multiple changes to try to make this connection work, including:

(1) Resetting Network Settings on iPhone (several times)

(2) Buying new (upgraded spec) wireless router

(3) Repositioning wireless router

(4) Removing iPhone case

(5) Restarting iPhone (several times)

The iPhone is running the latest software update (8.4.1 12H321), but this issue has been present for approximately 2 months.

I cannot be certain, but it is possible that the issue is just with my home WiFi connection, as when I am using other WiFi networks (e.g. at work) I am not noticing the same latency / non-loading of pages, although usage at work is much less.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am just about at my wit's end!

Many thanks

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 9:55 PM

all iphones are defective pieces of ****, trrashhh!!!!! they’re made that way after 2-3years of using them they have slow wifi reception. apple and several other companies does this so u have to buy their newest product . it’s no use, i’ve tried every method in the book. my iphone 4,5,6 got killed with slow wifi reception i’ve tested with the samsung, they’re all the same. just decide not to have a phone at all

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2017 9:55 PM in response to Philly_Phan

all iphones are defective pieces of ****, trrashhh!!!!! they’re made that way after 2-3years of using them they have slow wifi reception. apple and several other companies does this so u have to buy their newest product . it’s no use, i’ve tried every method in the book. my iphone 4,5,6 got killed with slow wifi reception i’ve tested with the samsung, they’re all the same. just decide not to have a phone at all

Aug 31, 2015 4:23 AM in response to klan852

So spending the evening reading this support forum I had a thought regarding my router. The new one I bought in an effort to solve the issue is a dual-band one. It broadcasts on 2.4GHz and 5GHz using two different SSIDs (news to me - I thought they broadcast simultaneously on same SSID).

I've switched the iPhone over to the 5GHz network and the difference is astounding. Ping 4ms and 94/90 mbps for down/upload.

Quite why the iPhone 6 had an issue with the 2.4 GHz network but laptop and tablet do not I am not sure. Perhaps better antennae in the larger devices help with any interference? Is it possible this is an iPhone hardware issue? Any way of telling? iPhone 5 didn't have an issue with the exact same network setup. It's particularly perplexing given I normally always had full signal strength showing on the iPhone for the 2.4 GHz network.

This has been quite a frustrating issue to work through, so I am very glad that (for now) it appears to be resolved, even if it is possibly just a workaround. Hope this helps anyone who may experience a similar problem in future.

* A note on interference: I live in a city with the highest population density in the world. From my laptop (a Dell cheapie) I can see 35 wireless networks available on the 2.4GHz frequency.

Aug 31, 2015 1:00 PM in response to klan852

Actually, I too have been experiencing this problem on my iPhone 6+ since November 2014. I've been content to use the limited data until very recently. Honestly, the LTE connection is amazing, but stupidly expensive. Because of this issue, and the lack of any real fixes that I can find, I easily find myself exceeding my given data limit and being charged and extra 10 dollars per gig of data. Yay!

Anyway, I too have a dual-band router and while the connectivity on my 5GHz is seemingly better, it's far from acceptable. Often times my iPhone can't even detect the signal, let alone maintain a steady connection with it. I'm confident that it's not an issue with my ISP or my router as quite literally ANYTHING that can pick up our wifi signal, with the exception of my iPhone, has great connectivity with our network.

But it's not just that 5GHz connectivity (or lack there of) that's an issue. While my phone does pick up and connect most signals outside my home, even with full bars, web pages, apps, downloads, etc. are incredibly slow to load if they even load at all. Suffice to say, if I'm not home and battling with my 5GHz network, I'm usually tearing away at my cellular data, because although I have available connections around me, the phone won't work.

Aug 31, 2015 1:16 PM in response to klan852

klan852 wrote:

All,

I cannot be certain, but it is possible that the issue is just with my home WiFi connection, as when I am using other WiFi networks (e.g. at work) I am not noticing the same latency / non-loading of pages, although usage at work is much less.

That information is critical. With some degree of luck, an Apple Store is reasonably close to you. If it is AND you can reproduce the problem there, demonstrate it to the resident "Genius." (It's best to make an appointment before you go.)

Sep 7, 2015 7:49 AM in response to klan852

I, too, have been experiencing this issue. For example, I am getting 60 Mbps at work but my iPhone only comes up with 0.7 Mbps and then will shoot up to 3 or 4 at the very last second of the download test. Upload seems to be normal. But at home, speed test shows my normal 5-6 Mbps. I was having issues but I think it was a router issue because after I did a hard reset on my router, things seem to be okay now, for the most part, I believe. Apps still download slower than they should but it is an improvement now vs before. Thinking about taking it to Apple to have it replaced with a new one but not sure if that'll do me any good if y'all are having the exact WiFi issues as well.

iPhone 6 extremely slow WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.