Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iTunes, New iPhone

I recently lost my iPod and am trying to hook up my wife's old iPhone to get all of songs from iTunes on there.

The problem? It's a new iPhone (iPhone 5) and my computer is running an old iTunes. The phone won't recognize an iTunes under version 11.1, and my computer is too old (from 2008) to update it to a more current version.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 6:35 AM

It isn't clear from your statement if you are trying to put you music on the phone or there is some reason to use the phone to put some back on the computer.

You do not say anything about the computer. It may be possible to upgrade the operating system on the computer so you can run a newer iTunes. I have a late 2008 MacBook aluminum running Mavericks.

You can do a web search to see if there is any third party software to help you. There are a few that will copy music off an iOS device, but I don't know how many can put it on there since usually that is not an issue with iTunes being perfectly capable of that.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2015 6:35 AM in response to arson83zach

It isn't clear from your statement if you are trying to put you music on the phone or there is some reason to use the phone to put some back on the computer.

You do not say anything about the computer. It may be possible to upgrade the operating system on the computer so you can run a newer iTunes. I have a late 2008 MacBook aluminum running Mavericks.

You can do a web search to see if there is any third party software to help you. There are a few that will copy music off an iOS device, but I don't know how many can put it on there since usually that is not an issue with iTunes being perfectly capable of that.

Aug 31, 2015 8:27 AM in response to arson83zach

That's one of the reasons why I have never purchased an iPod. I too use an older computer and you have to use the version of iTunes that was current at the time the iPod was sold. The rule of thumb with Apple is once components are greater than 4 years apart make sure you read the fine print as to compatibility. Unless you can find software to transfer files (it won't be a proper sync) you have no option but to see what upgrade options are open to you. Get more information about your computer. Go to the Apple in the upper left corner of any window, then "About This Mac". Write down what it says about "version"and report that here. Now continue to "More Info..." Copy and paste the information here, but omit the serial number and Hardware UUID (if present).

Old iTunes, New iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.