Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't upgrade to 10.10.3 or Photos - best way to make 21k photos accessible?

I have 2 iPhoto libraries. Only the small one converted OK to iPhoto 10.10.3 and so is accessible in Yosemite.

When trying to convert/upgrade my large iPhoto library to 10.10.3 it failed/froze at 99% on the progress bar. Many times. I left it for many hours.

I tried to convert/upgrade it instead to Photos but it fails/freezes at 20%. Every time.

PLEASE help as I can't properly access via iPhoto or Photos 21k photos now that I have converted to Yosemite. Although I can see most (80%) of the images via Aperture.

I have tried repairing the library at both levels but it made no difference.

iMovie is also a mess as it can't access my images and goes hunting for them so it is also unusable.

PLEASE can anyone suggest the BEST way to rescue my images, import them into a usable application and try to not mess up iMovie forever.

I was originally trying to retain my many slideshows and books :0( but I guess this is now impossible - meaning weeks of work is wasted.

Any advice welcome. Apple tried to help but could NOT come up with a strategy.

Will iPhoto Manager offer any better option than trying to do something via Aperture?

What could I do best if I use Aperture?

My aperture libraries did convert OK and I can see my Aperture libraries now I'm on Yosemite but imovie's searching still means I can't even access my Aperture-based movies!

Please help!

BW

I have a MacAir and my photos are on my older MacPro 17"

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 4:00 AM

To repair these Libraries;

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2015 4:00 AM in response to birdwocha

To repair these Libraries;

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Can't upgrade to 10.10.3 or Photos - best way to make 21k photos accessible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.