Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Learning resources for an old Avid dog?

Hi everyone, I've been editing with Avid for over 10 years and am making the switch to Final Cut X which feels like a serious mountain to climb. Would be grateful for any suggested tutorials I realise there are a wealth of them online but it all feels a bit like a minefield and I'm drowning in connected clips already! I have a couple of weeks to get into it, any pointers much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 4:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 5:01 AM

It depends on how you learn best, Many people these days seem to be quite visual in their preferences and prefer video tutorials. And just a cursory review of these forums suggests that a lot people (particularly younger generations) are less interested in taking a structured, bottom-up learning approach than diving right in and doing things. If you want video, there are many good resources and most of them have sample tuts: Lynda dot com (a variety of trainers) , Ripple Training, Larry Jordan – to name just three names that often come up here. Vimeo has recently introduced a new, free course on the basics…I don't have any experience with it.

My preference was to work from the original Pro Certification book – then authored by Diane Weynand – now by Brendan Boykin. So I read about the basics first (the terms, the GUI, the workflow), section by section, and did the practice exercises with he sample material that comes with the book.( I also participated in a pro labs series that the local Apple store offered.) In my case, I was not under any deadline to switch and indeed was not entirely convinced I wanted to for the first several months.

The leading contributor on this forum, Tom Wolsey, has a site with a range of learning resources - some free and some paid.

You are, no doubt, a very quick Avid editor. So one of the things you will inevitably have to deal with is how slow working on X will seem to you. The software itself is very fast, but it really does take some patience to make the transition from tracks to clips. Again, on this forum and other forums, it's not hard to find frustrated legacy Final Cut editors who are trying to do things the "old way" with the new software.

Anyway, you start with a big advantage: you already know how to create. Now you just need to learn some new mechanisms to achieve those outcomes.

Good luck.

Russ

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2015 5:01 AM in response to batcat46

It depends on how you learn best, Many people these days seem to be quite visual in their preferences and prefer video tutorials. And just a cursory review of these forums suggests that a lot people (particularly younger generations) are less interested in taking a structured, bottom-up learning approach than diving right in and doing things. If you want video, there are many good resources and most of them have sample tuts: Lynda dot com (a variety of trainers) , Ripple Training, Larry Jordan – to name just three names that often come up here. Vimeo has recently introduced a new, free course on the basics…I don't have any experience with it.

My preference was to work from the original Pro Certification book – then authored by Diane Weynand – now by Brendan Boykin. So I read about the basics first (the terms, the GUI, the workflow), section by section, and did the practice exercises with he sample material that comes with the book.( I also participated in a pro labs series that the local Apple store offered.) In my case, I was not under any deadline to switch and indeed was not entirely convinced I wanted to for the first several months.

The leading contributor on this forum, Tom Wolsey, has a site with a range of learning resources - some free and some paid.

You are, no doubt, a very quick Avid editor. So one of the things you will inevitably have to deal with is how slow working on X will seem to you. The software itself is very fast, but it really does take some patience to make the transition from tracks to clips. Again, on this forum and other forums, it's not hard to find frustrated legacy Final Cut editors who are trying to do things the "old way" with the new software.

Anyway, you start with a big advantage: you already know how to create. Now you just need to learn some new mechanisms to achieve those outcomes.

Good luck.

Russ

Aug 31, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks Russ, I had downloaded Michael Wohl's guide but found myself really wading through it so had a look at your suggested lynda.com and was like a light bulb going on seeing how he cut the B Roll, that's how much I was struggling! I guess I am old school (I learnt to edit with a blade and splicing tape so the switch to NLE was mind blowing back in the day) and yes want to know the programme from the ground up but some of the online tutorial video's were jumping into titles and effects in their introduction without telling me where the media was being saved which felt a bit round the wrong way to me, plus I want to avoid learning bad habits! Thanks again and will have to keep an open mind, persevere and keep positive....I *can* do this......

Aug 31, 2015 11:27 PM in response to batcat46

Hey Batcat. I have watched a few series on youtube and found them to be very helpful. We had the opportunity to edit on AVID and just found FCP to be more intuitive and affordable.

Dan Allen;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nARN1aRhM-U&list=PL2FBA59296BAD2275

And this guy is Larry Jordan, also very helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOIvQT-0I8s&list=PLZ6QT1G0_6R6PNLQbMD_3XPHeQXxmO Vwe

I hope this helps!

Sep 23, 2015 6:24 AM in response to batcat46

A quick update if anyone else should come across the same query. I have done some courses by Ashley Kennedy via Lynda.com. Would highly recommend, she is an excellent tutor and excise files are available to download and follow along with, I found myself thinking...what about this......when I was watching and it was the very next thing addressed by her, so very intuitive and logical course to follow. I am very much enjoying editing with Final Cut Pro X and can really see what can be done with it. Once you get your head around the magnetic timeline and connected clips workflow it is an excellent editing tool and has amazing functionality. This from an Avid editor of 20 years (yes I actually went back and checked how long I've been using it for!), proves the leap can be made if you just grasp the nettle!!!

Learning resources for an old Avid dog?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.