Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Settings --> General --> Usage ... disappearing memory

Yesterday I start getting error messages on my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.4.1) telling me I'm out of memory ... a quick check in settings-->general--Usage indeed tells me I have less than 100mb remaining in Storage. When I click on "Manage Storage" a quick summary tells me I'm using less than 3GB in storage - a huge discrepancy in the iPhone's math that's telling me I'm using more than 11GB! After spending 20 minutes with the support folks at Apple, they come up with the standard solution ... Reset the phone to factory settings and restore from iCloud backup. Back up and running again, my phone is once again happy and reporting over 6.5 GB of available storage.

Yes the solution is easy, yes it only takes a couple of hours to run through the complete cycle ... my complaint is WHY! It takes a couple of weeks for this "memory leak" to eat up all available memory, then I have to do it again. Apple has released at least 3 version of iOS since this has started happening. Why is it still an ongoing problem? If it is an issue with my phone - replace it ... I however, believe it is a problem with iOS. In that case, please address and fix it in the next release. Rebuilding your hardware because of an issue with the operating system on a monthly basis is an issue I tried to leave by going to Apple. If I enjoyed rebuilding on a monthly basis, I'd still have Microsoft based hardware!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 5:48 AM

There are no replies.

Settings --> General --> Usage ... disappearing memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.