Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari displaying strange "window resize" bar

Hello,

Since yesterday my browser (Safari 8.0.8) has been displaying a strange bar, below the bookmarks bar and above the tabs bar. It reads "Options: this bar is necessary for resizing windows. It should not be seen, used, or played with." See attached.User uploaded file

- Is this the symptom of an actual problem (as in my browser being compromised) ?

- How can i make it disappear ?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 6:30 AM

Do you have the Develop menu in your menu bar? If it is, go to Safari > Preferences and click on the Advanced icon.

At the bottom of the dialog uncheck Show Develop menu in the menu bar. Exit out and close Safari, then reopen. You should have lost the Options message.

I had the same thing, did the above and cleared the message. I then went back and opened the Develop menu again and have had no further issues with the Options message showing.

Hope this helps.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2015 6:30 AM in response to Niacko

Do you have the Develop menu in your menu bar? If it is, go to Safari > Preferences and click on the Advanced icon.

At the bottom of the dialog uncheck Show Develop menu in the menu bar. Exit out and close Safari, then reopen. You should have lost the Options message.

I had the same thing, did the above and cleared the message. I then went back and opened the Develop menu again and have had no further issues with the Options message showing.

Hope this helps.

Aug 31, 2015 6:58 AM in response to Maalong

Tried the following :

- Unchecked 'Show develop' in advanced preferences,

- Quit Safari,

- Relaunched Safari, as instructed,

=> Bar still present.

- Forcequit Safari,

- Shift relaunched,

=> Bar still present.

- Rebooted,

- Relaunched Safari,

=> Bar still present.

Thanks for your tip, but it didn't work in my case.

Attached a pic of my menu bar without the Develop menu (my system is in French) :

User uploaded file

This is starting to creep me out, actually.

Aug 31, 2015 10:28 AM in response to Niacko

I had the same problem. I could fix it by disabling an extension (SPOI options 1.8.207). You might want to try to disable all extensions to see if it is one of them and if so disable them one by one to see which is the cause (under Safari->Preferences, choose tab "Extensions" {second from the right}, hit the big off switch in the top right, or click on each of the extensions and uncheck the enable box for each one, one by one). I didn't have to restart safari, the bar just disappeared.

safari displaying strange "window resize" bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.