Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to play movies from external hard drive?

Movies take up a lot of space on my Mac. I have a 1TB thunderbolt external hard drive which backs up my entire iTunes library.

Ideally i'd like to keep music and tv shows on my mac but have the movies only on the external and when I want to watch a film plug in the external. How do I get iTunes preferences to read the external location for movies but keep everything else from my mac iTunes library as it currently is?

In iTunes preferences > advanced

you can only change the location for 'iTunes Media' which is its entirety...

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 5:07 AM

Hi SSJAK,

I can think of a couple of ways to accomplish this, though I'm not sure either is really ideal.

One way would be to go into iTunes > Preferences > Advanced, and turn off "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library." I believe this will solve the problem of letting videos stay on the external drive, but it would seem to pose some risk of allowing your library to become fragmented, with files stored here and there on your computer.

The other way is to play the videos in a different app, rather than adding them to iTunes -- for example, QuickTime Player or the VLC media player. I think I might go for this one, and leave iTunes library management intact.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2015 5:07 AM in response to SSJAK

Hi SSJAK,

I can think of a couple of ways to accomplish this, though I'm not sure either is really ideal.

One way would be to go into iTunes > Preferences > Advanced, and turn off "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library." I believe this will solve the problem of letting videos stay on the external drive, but it would seem to pose some risk of allowing your library to become fragmented, with files stored here and there on your computer.

The other way is to play the videos in a different app, rather than adding them to iTunes -- for example, QuickTime Player or the VLC media player. I think I might go for this one, and leave iTunes library management intact.

Aug 31, 2015 6:55 AM in response to SSJAK

This has been a long running low profile issue with iTunes. You cannot readily split media file storage. It comes down to two scenarios.

One is where you can store them on the external and have them appear in your library, but if the external is not attached when you start iTunes you will see them all as broken links. People tend to not like that but the links will mend if you attach the drive and restart iTunes, or if you attach the drive and play a track for a file on the external.

The second is where you build a separate library just for movies and start from that library when you are using the external. This is a cleaner solution and unless you watch the same movie 5 times in a month you probably don't need your movies sitting in front of you all the time. However, it could be trickier if you let iTunes automatically download items to your library.

Playing them with VLC won't work if these are iTunes Store purchases.

Aug 31, 2015 7:24 AM in response to Limnos

Interesting. How do I create and subsequently load separate iTunes libraries?

Basically I have one library which includes everything but movies saved on my mac.

The second library only has movies but is stored on my external.

When I load iTunes I basically pick which library to load based on what I want media i want to utilise.

I assume this method would prevent syncing my iPhone with music and movies?

Aug 31, 2015 8:07 AM in response to SSJAK

I suspect it might create syncing issues since you would have two libraries and an i-device can only sync with one at a time.

You create a second library and also switch between libraries by holding down the option key while starting iTunes.

If you want to stay with a single library but have media in different locations there's various ways to do this but as I said, unless the other drive is attached iTunes will report broken links to your movies. There's no real harm in this because when you want to use them you make sure the other drive is attached and they will not show as broken (but you must restart iTunes first) , but some might find it annoying.

Aug 31, 2015 8:18 AM in response to SSJAK

Yes, there are ways to refresh the links. It is not they are truly broken, it is just when the drive is not attached and iTunes first starts it will not see them and until you restart iTunes it will not check to see if the drive is there in the meantime. If you try to play a file and the drive is reattached iTunes will have a second look and see that that particular file is there. It just don't do it for all of them. There is an Applescript which will do this but it is slow. Otherwise when you attach the drive and re-start iTunes it will have a quick look for links and see the files are there this time around.

I guess some of this depends upon how often you view media. Generally I need about 10-15 years before I am ready to watch a movie a second time so I really, really, really do not need to see it in front of me with an active link all the time. If I have to restart iTunes twice a year to refresh links that is not excessively onerous.

How to play movies from external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.