Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless printer error with airport extreme

I have an HP8620 printer connected to my wireless network (using an airport extreme). It works fine until I connect an airport express to the network as a range extender. I get an error message on my printer "multiple SSID's" and it appears that the printer gets confused with which device to connect to. I use a static IP address.

Is there a solution to this ? Or do I need to connect the printer to the airport extreme using an ethernet cable ? If I do thIs, will the printer still be accessible as a wireless printer from the multiple laptops that need to print ?

It has taken me a very frustrating 3 hours to isolate the cause of the problem and I dont have enough spare hair to pull out !

OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 7:24 AM

7 replies

Aug 31, 2015 8:28 AM in response to chocwege

My printer only connects to 2.5ghz so leaving the 5ghz SSID unchanged (duplicated) is not problem.

As an example, you may do this with your SSID's: Within the Extreme, go with names like AEHP25ghz, AE5ghz. Then with the Express, go with AP24ghz and AE5ghz, or even give both the same name. Then pair you printer to AEHP25ghz, the unique one.

Aug 31, 2015 9:21 AM in response to chocwege

but does this mean there are 2 networks using different frequencies?

There are two different frequency bands, but both of them are part of the same network.......just as a wired Ethernet device is part of the same network with other wireless devices.

Think of the network as a "room" and the wireless and wired connections are "doors" to the room. In this case, you simply have multiple doors opening into the same room.

Aug 31, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Mike's Pad

chocwege: There are a number of typo's in my post above. We have been without water and power for the past two days. Coincidentally, both came back on while I was tying that reply, therefore my distraction and lack of demonstrated proofreading skills. 😁

It should read:

My printer only connects to 2.4Ghz so leaving the 5Ghz SSID unchanged (duplicated) is not problem.

As an example, you may do this with your SSID's: Within the Extreme, go with names like AEHP24Ghz, AE5Ghz. Then with the Express, go with AE24Ghz and AE5Ghz, or even give both the same name. Then pair your printer to AEHP24Ghz, the unique one.

Wireless printer error with airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.