Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to duplicate the cell above with a keyboard shortcut?

I use Numbers (previously Excel) to keep track of my stock photo files, where they are and if they've sold, etc so I'm not using any formulas for most of my sheets. just simple data entry really.

Often my file names are very similar, with just one word different, so I use the CMD ' function in Excel to duplicate the above cell. This feature does not seem to exist in Numbers? yes, it will auto fill but that's actually not as fast when you have a sheet with hundreds of entries that start similarly.

Can anyone please let me knew how to make this happen?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 4:47 AM

6 replies

Aug 31, 2015 5:18 AM in response to wife.mum.girl.au

There is no similar command in Numbers. copy and paste is close but still an extra click and and extra key command.

you can also enable "Show suggestions when...":

User uploaded file

Then you get a menu with items that match up to the point where you have typed, then you can select the closest one. User uploaded file

Still not as good.

you can post feedback to Apple using the menu item "Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback"

Aug 31, 2015 8:36 AM in response to wife.mum.girl.au

You can easily duplicate in Numbers the command-' functionality you have in Excel with an Automator Service containing a short AppleScript.

1. Download this Copy Cell Above Automator Service (Dropbox download).
  2. Double-click the downloaded .workflow package and, if necessary, click 'Open Anyway' or 'Install Anyway' in System Preferences > Security and Privacy.

This installs the Service in your Numbers > Services menu.

To attach a keyboard shortcut got here in System Preferences, click where it says 'add shortcut' and and your shortcut.

User uploaded file

After adding the shortcut, it should look like this:

User uploaded file

Tested with Numbers 3.5.3. The script can be modified to work with Numbers 2.3. And be sure 'Script Editor.app' and 'Automator.app' are checked in System Preferences to 'control your computer'.

User uploaded file

The installation should take a minute or so. Thereafter, typing that shortcut gives you the same behavior as when you type command-' in Excel.

SG

How to duplicate the cell above with a keyboard shortcut?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.