Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic pro 10.2 & Yosemite/Mac Pro 5,1 stability & responsiveness?

Hello to you who are reading this.

Hope everyone is making great music and getting paid.

Just wanted to ask around these parts, anyone running Logic Pro 10.2, Yosemite on older Mac Pro's? You know those silver tower boxes… :-)

I have a 2010 mac pro 5,1. Haven't moved from Mountain Lion and LP10.0.7. since I found things working moderately well at that point.

To the more experienced guys running older mac's hows the upgrade with the OS and Logic, is it safe to move up the chain? Last we spoke guys were saying mavericks is a nightmare OS for the guy who wants stability and responsiveness.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Logic Pro X.0.7

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 7:26 AM

8 replies

Sep 3, 2015 7:29 AM in response to Chance Harper

Hi

Chance Harper wrote:

Thx CCTM. But how is performance? Would you say its gone down with the new OS upgrade from say MTL or is it better? I am specifically asking about responsivenss within logic and snappiness on one OS to to the latest.

Can't really comment on wether overall performance is better/worse. I need to run up to date versions of Kontakt etc, so I need to be running OS X 10.9 or higher.

By accounts from others here ( not me, as I have not done a fair comparison side by side) OS X 10.6.8 and LP9 is snappiest, but, as previously stated, it's a moot point for me.

CCT

Sep 3, 2015 7:33 AM in response to Chance Harper

I'm running OS X Yosemite v10.10.5 on my Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7953 3072 MB, with Logic Pro X 10.2. It seems to be running a little sluggish, but it's it's still quite nice, however when I use any Software Instruments, my CPU/HD is only showing 1 out of 8 processors being used? I've been trying out Alchemy (Wow), but it seems to bog down very easily, with only the one CPU? Anyone know if this is normal?

P.S.

My CPU's seem to be working when I'm running back multiple audio/software tracks?

Sep 4, 2015 12:19 AM in response to micdim

Hi

micdim wrote:

I'm running OS X Yosemite v10.10.5 on my Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7953 3072 MB, with Logic Pro X 10.2. It seems to be running a little sluggish, but it's it's still quite nice, however when I use any Software Instruments, my CPU/HD is only showing 1 out of 8 processors being used? I've been trying out Alchemy (Wow), but it seems to bog down very easily, with only the one CPU? Anyone know if this is normal?

P.S.

My CPU's seem to be working when I'm running back multiple audio/software tracks?

This is well documented (for LP9 and up):

Logic 9.1.4 or later: Core Audio System Overload messages - Apple Support

Logic 9.1.3 or later: Processing Threads setting and Core Usage - Apple Support

Logic Pro/Express: Tips for balancing multi-core performance - Apple Support

CCT

Logic pro 10.2 & Yosemite/Mac Pro 5,1 stability & responsiveness?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.