Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes can't remember library file location

I am using iTunes on a late-model Dell PC with Windows 7. All software up to date.

With the latest update, iTunes seems to be unable to remember the location of my library file. If I start iTunes normally, it thinks it's the first time I've ever run it and asks me to agree to the EULA, notifies me that it's not the default player for certain files, ask consent to submit music info to Apple, give me a tour of the software, etc.

If I hold SHIFT while starting iTunes, I can choose my library file. After this, iTunes works fine and dandy. However, if I exit iTunes and then reopen it again normally, it has amnesia and we're back to square 1.

My library file is on internal hard drive "D". The actual media files are located on a big external drive "K". My "C" drive is a solid state drive with limited space, so there is no media or music files stored there.

Any ideas on how I can get iTunes to remember where my library file is located? Or must I move my library file to another spot where iTunes thinks it should be?

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 6:03 AM

As posted in your other thread... I'm going to guess that you have McAfee AV installed. Try disabling it then see if you get better results. If so try adding exclusions for iTunes.exe to McAfee, or throw it away and install Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

See also Make a split library portable.

tt2

3 replies

Sep 2, 2015 5:20 AM in response to turingtest2

Your suspicion is correct: I am using McAfee LiveSafe Internet Security. I temporarily disabled the real-time scanning and firewall, then launched iTunes normally and it opened up my catalog without issue. Afterwards, I enabled McAfee again and iTunes now seems have it's memory back and remembers where my library file is located. Hopefully, it will stay fixed. I'll post again if it acts up. Thanks for your help! :-)

Thank you for the split library link, too. Maybe I should move my library file to the external hard drive and keep it all together. I will try to follow your step-by-step directions and see if I can get it done when I have some free time to mess with it.

So, I take it you would recommend MS Security Essentials over McAfee? I am not in love with McAfee --I just use it because it came with my Dell PC.

iTunes can't remember library file location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.