Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sufficient Build for Adobe CC 2015?

I've been using an 2008 iMac since I bought it new 7 years ago. It seems with each update of Adobe's creative suite everything moves slower and slower, especially with the new CC 2015. I'm ready to finally upgrade my system and I really want to transition to a more portable system as my travel needs have increased over the years. Given that it's not uncommon for me to work with 500MB-1GB Photoshop file sizes, what considerations do I need to make when building my new MBP 13" retina?

-Will the entry level 2.7Ghz, 8GB memory be plenty sufficient for my needs? I do not do any video editing whatsoever, just print work.

-Should I expect a constantly running fan to cool this device?

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 7:36 AM

4 replies

Sep 1, 2015 6:46 PM in response to cabakroll

I'm in the same position and I've been doing some homework....

- get as much memory as you can. As I remember, 16 GB is the upper limit for Mac laptops, so get that. More if you can.

- the kid in the Apple store recommended getting a 15-inch MacBook Pro with the dedicated graphics card. The graphics card has an additional 2 GB of very fast RAM that will speed up graphics programs like Photoshop and Lightroom. In addition, some graphics programs like Lightroom are now off loading some processing to that fast graphics card to improve performance. I haven't checked to see if the card in the MacBook Pro is one of the supported graphics cards, but I'll bet it is. You can find a list of supported cards on the Adobe website to make sure. Either way, that card will help with Adobe products.

- you may want to wait awhile. There is a new Intel processor called "Skylake" that should be in Mac laptops later this fall or early next year (I hope) that will improve graphics performance by about 30% and overall performance by about 20%. It will also improve battery life. One pundit suggested that Apple will stop selling MacBooks with a dedicated graphics card altogether because it won't be necessary with Skylake. We shall see. By the way, Skylake is the hot new chip from Intel that we hope to see soon. The last chip was "Broadwell" and it's in the 13-inch MBP now while the chip before that was "Haswell" and it's in the current 15-inch MBP. I would be reluctant to buy a 15-inch MacBook Pro now with a processor that's two generations old. That's just me.

- you may want to wait awhile, part 2. There is a new standard for data transfer from the SSD just hitting the streets called "NVMe" and it's much faster than the PCIe standard in current MacBook Pros. It's in the new MacBook and I hope it reaches the MBP with Skylake. THAT would be a screamin' machine.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Sufficient Build for Adobe CC 2015?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.