Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AVCHD Import to Photos - how?

I know iPhoto used to allow this, can't find how to do it on Photos. Can it be done? If not what do I do, best way etc? I have an iMac with Yosemite, the standard software packages, no Final cut, Abode etc, I just use the software that Apple supplied really.

The camera is a Panasonic TZ40 which records video in 1080P in AVCHD format. I use this as my camcorder and camera.

Anyone help please

thanks

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2017 10:33 PM

iPhoto you used to be able to directly import AVCHD. And Photos (daft name! as videos can be used to), is a new product, but they be stripped so many features away that were used. Numerous Mac users would have used iPhoto and now been almost forced to use Photos and not just lost features, but confusion because of this. As i know, photos support mp4 and mov videos, If you want to import avchd to photos app, conversion is necessary, and this page talks about import avchd to photos , hope it helps.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2017 10:33 PM in response to QwertyMan11

iPhoto you used to be able to directly import AVCHD. And Photos (daft name! as videos can be used to), is a new product, but they be stripped so many features away that were used. Numerous Mac users would have used iPhoto and now been almost forced to use Photos and not just lost features, but confusion because of this. As i know, photos support mp4 and mov videos, If you want to import avchd to photos app, conversion is necessary, and this page talks about import avchd to photos , hope it helps.

Nov 8, 2016 8:18 PM in response to QwertyMan11

Anyone coming across this thread looking for a solution with Photos and Sierra OS, OLD TOAD'S link works, specifically the NOTE part:

"iPhoto will recognize many devices that shoot AVCHD video and import from them directly, similarly to importing a photo. Some devices don't appear in the regular import view of iPhoto. You can still use AVCHD video from these cameras by dragging and dropping or menu-driven imports. Importing the AVCHD video by dragging and dropping, or menu, can get different results depending on how it's done. Specifically:

• If you want just the AVCHD files, you have to know which folder to import.
  • You have to import all of the AVCHD files at once.
  • Do NOT drag and drop the individual AVCHD streams or their containing folder.

Note: Some cameras need to take a photo or capture a non-AVCHD movie before the memory card will contain the DCIM folder and be recognized by iPhoto."

Adding a photo worked for me. Canon ViXIA HF G20 file AVCHD. See Old Toad's reply for full link.

Cheers

May 12, 2017 1:21 PM in response to Lastflightout

Lastflightout wrote:

Note: Some cameras need to take a photo or capture a non-AVCHD movie before the memory card will contain the DCIM folder and be recognized by iPhoto."

Adding a photo worked for me. Canon ViXIA HF G20 file AVCHD. See Old Toad's reply for full link

Thanks, I was pulling my hair out because I knew I had mounted the Memory Stick in the past and Photos had recognized it. The above was the key: this time I only had videos on the card.

I just created a new folder at the top level of the card, named it DCIM, then ejected and re-mounted the card. Photos now recognized it as a device and (slowly) listed the videos for import. This manual folder creation did not affect the camera function when I reinserted the card and continued to use it. Sony Handicam HDR-TG5V

Dec 4, 2015 8:58 AM in response to QwertyMan11

I now have OS X 10.11 El Capitan but still can't seem to import to Photos. Is this possible? I've tried dragging the folder as is from my camera (Panasonic TZ40) but just says "none of these files can be imported to your photo library"

I use iCloud photo library as well, does this matter? IS the best solution just to convert the AVCHD to MP4 and then import? I have a program called iVi that can convert? will the quality still be ok?

thanks

Dec 9, 2015 8:51 AM in response to Old Toad

To be honest I don't really edit, but my motto is to always shoot video and pictures in the best the camera can, as memory cards are so cheap, and then you can always go down in quality later, but never up after taking them.

So although I probably won't edit them, I may join clips together and edit out certain bits, but I've never learned how to use iMovie yet an so am in a bit of limbo, and also there is lots of video at the moment...

Dec 9, 2015 9:01 AM in response to QwertyMan11

This is the only info I've found on AVCHD and iPhoto or Photos: Using AVCHD video with iPhoto '11 - Apple Support

Most of the topics on the web about AVCHD and iPhoto or Photos discuss converting them to other formats for use by iPhoto and now Photos.

As for resolution/quailty of videos I would think shooting at 1080p would be sufficient for nearly all needs. But then I'm a point and shoot with an iPhone video taker.

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Try to import some some of the AVCHD videos and to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

Sep 3, 2016 10:57 AM in response to QwertyMan11

I used to mount the Memory Stick Card from my camera in a Mem Stick-to-USB adapter and drag and drop the AVCHD folder on the iPhoto icon. This didn't work with Photos. I got the "none of these files can be imported to your photo library" error that others have mentioned.

However, after a couple of drag and drop attempts I got distracted by something else and just left the Memory Stick mounted on the desktop and Photos open while I did another task. Lo and behold when I got back to Photos about ten minutes later, there were the contents of the Memory Stick ready to be selected and imported. I did a couple of other trials and found that Photos did eventually recognize a mounted card as a "device". but it took anywhere from 1 to 4 minutes, longer times for bigger cards with more content.

So, Photos can import AVCHD media in a quite straightforward way, at least with my setup*, just not via drag and drop.

*Sony HDR-TG5V camcorder

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)

OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan)

Photos 1.5

Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo 8GB

Sandisk MicroMate Memory Stick DUO M2 Card Reader (SDDR-108-E12M )

AVCHD Import to Photos - how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.