Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad2 can only connect to wifi within 12 feet of router

It seems after the ipad2 fell off the sofa onto the floor (no scratches or anything), it can no longer connect to wifi unless the router is within 12 feet or so. I was able to tether it to my iphone 6+ no problem and get great speeds, but that's because the phone was right there.

I have another spare wifi router I put in AP mode with the same SSID and password on WPA2, but put it on channel 1 (whereas the main router is on channel 11). I put this one in the living room by the TV, so now the ipad2 can work for us in the living room, but its a shame we can't use it in the bedrooms anymore unless I tether it to my phone.

At first I thought it was the main router, so I logged into my PC and into the routers UI and told it to reboot. Everything else connected so then I thought it was the iPad. I rebooted the ipad, did wifi off and on, did a reset network settings, etc...

The only thing that I could think of is that it recently slid off the sofa onto the floor. It must be the 50th fall the iPad 2 ever had in its life. I know there's only a certain number of falls these things can take, so could this somehow have disrupted its ability to receive wifi signals even though there's no physical damage?

I know its an older device, trust me I would love to get a new one but with a second baby on the way and some home improvements that need to be done prior to that, the money is tight. I have a workable solution to allow it to work in the living room with a spare router, so I guess my question is really is this a common thing when dropping it, and is there any type of fix?

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 7:14 AM

2 replies

Aug 31, 2015 9:38 AM in response to Rudegar

I tested with a different router.

My main router is a Linksys WRT-320n.

Tested with a Netgear wdnr2000.

Same results.

My current workaround, plugged the spare Netgear wdnr2000 port 1 into one of my Ethernet jacks at my wall. Give it a different IP address as the Linksys which is in the basement where the cable modem is. Turn off DHCP. Now the linksys still does DHCP but since one of its ports is patched through the home cat5e wiring to the upstairs, the Netgear basically regenerates wifi (works as an AP). As long as im within 10-12 feet of it, iPad 2 works fine. Walk further and the signal drops until its gone.

ipad2 can only connect to wifi within 12 feet of router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.