Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i backup my iPhone 6 then restore it onto my iPhone 4?

My Screen has broken on my IP6 and i need to send it away. They tell me i won't get my phone back repaired, but will get a refurbished phone back.

I have a LOT of information on my phone that i will need while its away.

I have a back up of it on my Mac but want to try and get all my contacts and most of my apps onto my old iPhone 4 so i can use it in the intrim.

All help kindly accepted.

P.S Layman terms would be appreciated.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 7:40 AM

No. You can not restore a backup made of a device running a newer version of iOS (iOS 8) to a device running an older version (The iPhone 4 can not run anything higher than 7.1.2).

You should be able to re-sync the contacts to the 4, and you may can reinstall any apps that are compatible with iOS 7, but you can not restore the backup.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2015 7:40 AM in response to mattoccy

No. You can not restore a backup made of a device running a newer version of iOS (iOS 8) to a device running an older version (The iPhone 4 can not run anything higher than 7.1.2).

You should be able to re-sync the contacts to the 4, and you may can reinstall any apps that are compatible with iOS 7, but you can not restore the backup.

Can i backup my iPhone 6 then restore it onto my iPhone 4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.