Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Photos App, (MacBook Pro), how create albums to replace current PC folders?

I'm getting new MacBook Pro in few days, coming from PC environment. i want to retain my pics by SUBJECT MATTER, OR EVENT, SUCH AS "CHRISTMAS 2012" "CHRISTMAS 2013" and so on. I have 70/80 PC folders to convert to ALBUMS OR FOLDERS ON THE MAC. Could someone just give me some rough guidance to accomplish this, keeping in mind I have never ever used an Apple Computer?. For example, what if I (1) COPY SOME OF THE FOLDERS ONTO A THUMB DRIVE; (2) OPEN THE PHOTOS APP ON THE MACBOOK PRO, (3) CREATE AN ALBUM AND NAME IT TO MATCH THE PC FOLDER, (4) INSERT THE THUMB DRIVE, (5) FIND THE FOLDER ON THE THUMB DRIVE THAT I WANT TO CONVERT TO AN ALBUM OR ANOTHER FOLDER (WHICHEVER IS PROPER), THEN (6) DRAG IT TO THE NEWLY CREATED ALBUM OR FOLDER???? AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK? i CANNOT AFFORD THE 'ONE TO ONE" SUPPORT. WHAT BUTTON DO I CLICK TO "CREATE AN ALBUM". I AM WILLING TO DO THIS METHODICALLY BECAUSE I WANT TO DO IT RIGHT AND SO IT MAKES SENSE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

This problem is with my HP Notebook

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 5:52 PM

a few hints

1 - get a new keyboard - your cap lock is broken and it is not only rude to post in all Caps but it makes it very hard to read

2 - before converting all these photos i suggest you play with Photos for a while and learn how it works because it is totally different that your experience and unless you get the basic concepts of managing photos using a database rather than managing files using a lie manager you will have lots of issues

Yes your work flow (as best I can tell) will work - but there are other ways to skin the cat too

Photos works on a SQLite database structure and all photos are in the library - there are multiple ways to view the photos in the libraries - some built in to the program and others are user defined - built in is Photos view which can be set to Years/collections/Moments and is a totally automatic organization by time/date and location, also is All Photos which is organized by the date added to the library and a number of special purpose albums like recently delete, movies, panoramic, etc, And then there are albums created by the user as you propose above and folders which are used to organize albums or other folders - and there also are smart albums which are automatically populated with a view of photos meeting the criteria

As a start read the Photos Help file and take the Photos quick tour - and it would be good to take a Photos class at your local Apple store

Enjoy and post back as you find questions

LN

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2015 5:52 PM in response to billsouth

a few hints

1 - get a new keyboard - your cap lock is broken and it is not only rude to post in all Caps but it makes it very hard to read

2 - before converting all these photos i suggest you play with Photos for a while and learn how it works because it is totally different that your experience and unless you get the basic concepts of managing photos using a database rather than managing files using a lie manager you will have lots of issues

Yes your work flow (as best I can tell) will work - but there are other ways to skin the cat too

Photos works on a SQLite database structure and all photos are in the library - there are multiple ways to view the photos in the libraries - some built in to the program and others are user defined - built in is Photos view which can be set to Years/collections/Moments and is a totally automatic organization by time/date and location, also is All Photos which is organized by the date added to the library and a number of special purpose albums like recently delete, movies, panoramic, etc, And then there are albums created by the user as you propose above and folders which are used to organize albums or other folders - and there also are smart albums which are automatically populated with a view of photos meeting the criteria

As a start read the Photos Help file and take the Photos quick tour - and it would be good to take a Photos class at your local Apple store

Enjoy and post back as you find questions

LN

Aug 31, 2015 7:25 PM in response to LarryHN

I am sorry I offended by using all caps in part of my question. I had no idea that this is considered rude. I was trying to draw attention to the most important part of my question but evidently that was a bad decision and I will not be typing in all caps anymore.

Thank you for your prompt reply and it was extremely helpful. I want so badly to start off on the right foot with my new MacBook and avoid mistakes on the front end that will result in frustration later. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks again.

Bill

In Photos App, (MacBook Pro), how create albums to replace current PC folders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.