Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I enable a second monitor on my iMac 5K?

I have a Dell Monitor that I would like to use as a second monitor on my iMac 5K, I was in the UK last week and visited the Milton Keynes store and was told that a Mini Display port adapter to DVI would do the trick and that it was a simple case of connecting it up and it would work! But on connecting up the monitor it does nothing and I cannot see any way to add a second monitor in the settings, I have tried a reboot with the second monitor switched on but still nothing, please has anyone got any ideas?

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 7:58 AM

12 replies

Aug 31, 2015 8:25 AM in response to jamessawle

Hi James.

It may be the wrong adaptor. There's DVI-I, then there's DVI-D.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact =8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCLmEmfTO08cCFWEG2wod…

Are you certain you have the right adapter for your monitor/display? With the correct adapter your iMac should autodetect what additional display you are using.

Aug 31, 2015 8:38 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I am following that but I do not get this 'Arrangements' options, I take it that it is not seeing the second monitor and therefore it is not giving me this option, but as I was told in the Apple shop that this would work, cannot take it back to see them as I don't live in the UK and the nearest Apple dealer is a ferry journey away costing well over £500 return trip...

How do I enable a second monitor on my iMac 5K?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.