Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes reset

Hi All

I'm have iTunes 12.2.2.25 on a Windows 8.1 computer. I had just finished syncing my iPod Classic, properly disconnected it after the sync, and shut down iTunes. I returned to my computer a few minutes later and relaunched iTunes. Rather than launch the program the user agreement window popped up asking me to accept or decline the agreement. After clicking on "agree" a "Welcome To iTunes" window popped up. After clicking past this I noticed iTunes finally launched but with only a small fraction of my music and most of the album art missing. What happened? When I close iTunes and relaunch it this same "Welcome To iTunes" window appears along with the same limited number of my albums. I should also mention I keep the iTunes program on my computer hard drive but all albums and other files on an external hard drive. Tried restarting my computer and disconnecting and reconnecting the external hard drive to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Dell, Windows Vista, Inspiron

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 3:09 PM

My problem has been resolved. I did a search for this issue but couldn't seem to find any recent problem similar to mine. Guess I should've also taken a look at all the active posts to see a lot of people having similar issues. Because I store my media files on an external drive the new version of iTunes had somehow switched the path of the media folder back to the C drive. This hasn't happened in a while which is why I missed it. Anyway, going to the advanced tab and changing the path back to the iTunes media file on my external drive didn't work. I had to restart iTunes holding down the shift key and redirect the program to my most recent Library.itl file. Back in business! A big thank you again to Turingtest2 who has helped me in the past. It was researching his most recent posts that lead me to this solution. 🙂

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2015 3:09 PM in response to skiman1818

My problem has been resolved. I did a search for this issue but couldn't seem to find any recent problem similar to mine. Guess I should've also taken a look at all the active posts to see a lot of people having similar issues. Because I store my media files on an external drive the new version of iTunes had somehow switched the path of the media folder back to the C drive. This hasn't happened in a while which is why I missed it. Anyway, going to the advanced tab and changing the path back to the iTunes media file on my external drive didn't work. I had to restart iTunes holding down the shift key and redirect the program to my most recent Library.itl file. Back in business! A big thank you again to Turingtest2 who has helped me in the past. It was researching his most recent posts that lead me to this solution. 🙂

Aug 31, 2015 7:29 PM in response to turingtest2

Unfortunately part of the problem has cropped up yet again. When I relaunched iTunes a few minutes ago a window popped up reminding me I have the Bonjour service deactivated. Once I click that window to close it I get the Welcome To iTunes window once again asking me if I want to have iTunes automatically import album images. I clicked on agree and now I'm missing about 400 albums from my library. When I sent my last message I had linked iTunes with my latest Library.itl file (dated today) on my external drive and all was well. This is very frustrating.

Paul

Sep 1, 2015 2:35 AM in response to skiman1818

Do you have McAfee AV? There are several recent reports where it seems to be causing iTunes to forget its settings and open as if just installed, or with the wrong library file. If so try temporarily disabling it and then see if your preferences are retained. See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash for advice on restoring a pre-upgrade backup of the database.

tt2

Sep 1, 2015 2:50 PM in response to turingtest2

I use McAfee LiveSafe. I had to chat with their tech support to see how to temporarily turn off the software. I was told turning off the firewall and Real Time Scanning feature would accomplish this. After accomplishing this I restarted the computer and relaunched iTunes. iTunes was launching but with only a few hundred songs (I have about 17295). Oddly enough this was the same number of songs listed when iTunes reset itself to my C drive. I looked under the advanced tab and noticed the path to my media folder on my external drive appeared to be correct (F:\iTunes\iTunes Media). To be sure I shut down the software, held down the shift key upon restart, and again directed the software to the most recent Library.itl in my iTunes folder. This time the software launched and is now showing the correct number of songs with all the artwork in place.

I'm wondering if this problem might crop up again if I turn on the McAfee software. To your knowledge is this an iTunes issue or a McAfee issue?

Once again, I can't thank you enough for your help turingtest2.

Paul

Sep 1, 2015 3:05 PM in response to skiman1818

It is hard to pin the blame squarely at one or the other since it is an interaction between the two, but other AV software doesn't seem to trip iTunes up so often, and I can't see Apple working too hard to mend something which isn't really broken from their perspective. Personally I'd ditch McAfee and install Microsoft Security Essentials if your system can take it. That said somebody else mentioned adding an exclusion for the main iTunes.exe file. It may also be possible to exclude your iTunes library folder and the Apple folders in C:\Users\<User>\Appdata\Local and C:\Users\<User>\Appdata\Roaming from real time scans.

tt2

iTunes reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.