Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot setup a normally functioning network.... Please help!

Hello everyone and thanks already for taking a look at my issue.

I am not an adept networking genius however am not completely stupid when it comes to these issues I simply cannot find any information regarding my problem from other sources.

Here is my story:

I recently bought an airport extreme and was able to configure it to run with my macbook pro (retina 2012), the issue is that i cannot add any additional devices to the network.

The network is available, however the webpages time out when trying to be loaded.

I have tried a hard restart of my modem, and have tried to power down all of my devices however this has not proved to be fruitful.

An issue that most people may not have is that I do not have a modem that I can restart because my service comes directly from the ISP (its a complicated situation).

What can i do to resolve this issue. (the only reason things are working is because my ISP registered/gave me a new MAC address?)

What additional information do you need from my end?

Currently have the network setup as a Bridge (but dont have any idea what the other options do...)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Ill be around all evening here so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Al

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 9:18 AM

1 reply

Aug 31, 2015 9:40 AM in response to aputeris

An issue that most people may not have is that I do not have a modem that I can restart because my service comes directly from the ISP (its a complicated situation).

Apple routers do not like complicated situations.....they really want to connect to a normal DSL or cable modem........so you are going to have to accept some compromises in trying to get things to work.

Currently have the network setup as a Bridge

Your Internet connection service is only providing you with one IP address....and if you configure the AirPort Extreme to operate as a "bridge", then it will pass through that one IP address to your network devices.

Only one device will receive the valid IP address and be able to connect to the Internet. The other devices will be able to connect to the network, but they will not be able to connect to the Internet.

The solution is that you must configure the AirPort Extreme as a router.....not a bridge.....so that it will share the one valid IP address with multiple devices that connect to your network. But, Apple's AirPort Utility software will object and whine when you set it up as a router.....because Apple routers like things simple, and they want to connect to a normal DSL or cable modem for their Internet connection.

Open up AirPort Utility again and click on the AirPort Extreme to display the smaller window with info about the AirPort

Now click Edit in that smaller window, and another window will appear with tabs for Base Station, Internet, Wireless, Network, etc.

Click the Network tab and change the setting for Router Mode to read DHCP and NAT

Click Update at the lower right of the window and give the AirPort a full minute to restart. At this point, it will be be displaying a blinking amber light.

Power off the AirPort Extreme, wait a minute, then power it back up again.

The amber light will still be blinking at this point, but do not be concerned about this for now. Go ahead and test to see if you can get an Internet connection on multiple network devices.

Post back on your results.

Cannot setup a normally functioning network.... Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.