Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it still possible to upgrade from 10.8 to 10.9?

I have been advised to upgrade from 10.8 to 10.9, but I can't immediately find any info on how to obtain 10.9. It doesn't seem to be available through App Store. (Before you ask, I don't want to go to 10.10 — I hear that it's a steep learning curve…) I have a mid-2009 MBP.

Eleanor

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 9:18 AM

2 replies

Aug 31, 2015 9:21 AM in response to EleanorB

Mavericks, Mac OS X 10.9.5, is no longer available to anyone who has not previously downloaded it. So you cannot upgrade from 10.8 to 10.9.

Yosemite, 10.10.5, is a very good and solid operating system. It is a free upgrade from the Mac App Store.

As always, before upgrading you are advised to obtain and external hard drive and make a complete backup of your internal drive contents as a safety measure.

Aug 31, 2015 9:28 AM in response to EleanorB

I am not an expert on OS upgrading but from general gleaning of information by reading posts on these forums I believe the answer is "no". Unless your computer originally came with mavericks and you are reverting it to the original state then any upgrades to free versions of Max OSX are only to what Apple controls for your model which would still be the "latest and greatest". I know my '08 Macbook is listed on the everymac.com web site as being capable of running "current" (Yosemite) so I presume that would be what your computer would install should you decide to update to anything other than the previous versions for which Apple charged (Mountain Lion and earlier).

Is it still possible to upgrade from 10.8 to 10.9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.