Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad epidemic on Macbook Pro

My trackpad is now experiencing the problem of freaking out and erratically moving and clicking on things as it sees fit.

I am fighting to make this post even.

This is clearly an epidemic that affects a huge number of these things or will eventually. It is a design flaw. I think it is time Apple acknowledges and fixes it for free or we should examine other options for making sure they take care of their mistake.

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 10:57 AM

9 replies

Aug 31, 2015 11:07 AM in response to earthtoandy

Maybe you should try taking your machine in to have it looked at. That can happen if the battery begins to swell and puts pressure on the bottom of the trackpad. There could be a number of other hardware issues that could cause those symptoms as well.

Try troubleshooting instead of whining. You'll be much more likely to find a resolution that way.

Aug 31, 2015 11:11 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

No Bob, that is not what is happening. And I find it entirely condescending. The issues are clear and well documented all over the web. The pointer jumps and clicks all over the screen when no one is at the computer. It is caused by having the battery right under the trackpad with no protection. When the battery acts up at all (swelling, voltage issues) it makes the trackpad useless. After a few years this is almost guaranteed to happen

Aug 31, 2015 11:12 AM in response to KiltedTim

Oh thanks KiltedTim for that really condescending reply.

I have troubleshot it. I know exactly what is happening thanks. That is clearly not my concern. My concern is my computer becoming worthless until I pay the ransom. It is a design flaw I should;t have to pay for.

And I'll just take that 5 years I worked for Apple and shove it up my ***. I'm clearly just a whiner who doesn't know anything...

Aug 31, 2015 11:54 AM in response to earthtoandy

This is clearly an epidemic

It is not clear to me that this is an epidemic.

If it were, these forums would be overwhelmed with similar complaints.

Swollen battery complaints DO get posted here from time-to-time, and they sometimes get reported here as swollen batteries or as trackpad malfunctions. The advice is each case is the same -- get the battery serviced (in whatever way you choose) so that it does not continue to cause you problems or become a dangerous issue.

Apple does not provide us the means to steer them toward "everybody" solutions. They continue to insist that THEY will tally the repair statistics and do the support and engineering required to determine when a problem requires massive intervention or warrants a recall.

When you have a problem like this (whether you know it is pervasive or not) the solutions available involve proceeding as if you are the only one experiencing this problem, and get it solved for yourself.

If you wish to be altruistic and tell Apple that you think this problem is pervasive, and suggest what they should do about it, you are free to use the Product Feedback links:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

By definition, they will not reply.

Trackpad epidemic on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.