Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV was working, now not working

Apple TV 3 was working just fine, now when I turn it on the only two icons show, computer and settings. It says it's connected to my local network, but cannot access the internet. I've tried to see which network it thinks it's on, but I'm unable to. Wired to Ethernet port does not work, cannot even see wireless networks to connect to. Have done the reset settings but that does not help, could not do restore due to no internet connection. Restored via iTunes and USB cable, but same result. Have spent a lot of time trying to fix but nothing works. Any other suggestions to try?

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 9:51 AM

5 replies

Aug 31, 2015 12:19 PM in response to goat5570

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Assuming this is not the first time you have used your Apple TV

1. You might try restarting the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  2. Also try restarting the router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  3. If the problem persists, try a restore, you may want to try the previous procedures several times before doing this.
  4. If restoring from the Apple TV doesn't help, try restoring from iTunes using a USB cable.

If this is a new Apple TV, in addition to trying the above, it may also be that your network router is not allowing access to the timeserver, check that your router allows access over port 123.

You might also try connecting to a different network and then trying again on your own, you might try at a friends or use the wifi hotspot on your mobile phone if you have one.

Aug 31, 2015 12:32 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I've done all of the steps listed. End up at the same spot with two icons displayed; computer and settings. I cannot change to a different network. There is no option now to do so. It's like it thinks it has an wired connection still, even after I unplug the cord. It does not give an option for wifi so I could select any network, being mine or any other. I don't care if it used wired or wireless, but I can't get either one to work. It's frustrating because it worked for a long time and now I'm stuck.

Anything else I can try to get it to work again?

Aug 31, 2015 12:54 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I tried them all. I looked on this board a few days ago and saw your response to someone else with similar issues. I went thru them all before posting myself, hoping it would resolve my issue. Thank you for your suggestions, but they all left me back in the original situation. Hopefully someone else who has the same problem will offer what fixed theirs. I've seen many posts with the same issue, but I haven't seen a fix yet.

Apple TV was working, now not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.