Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I edit or copy the text in one cell to paste into mail?

I simply want to copy/paste one person's email from my spreadsheet into mac mail. In Excel, if I click on the cell, the text appears in the window at the top and I simply select it with my cursor (or commands) and then paste it. I cannot figure out how to select it in Numbers-- it seems to just select the box and then pastes a blank box in mail....

I've gone through the manual and have searched the web forums and cannot seem to find what I think must be a too-simple answer.

thank you!

MacBook Air, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 10:07 AM

6 replies

Aug 31, 2015 4:14 PM in response to chrisneska

Hi Chris,

It depends on whether the address is enabled as a hyperlink or not. In the table below, johndoe's address is text, and not enabled as a link. When the mouse pointer is moved onto the table, the pointer changes from the arrow to the white plus sign, and remains that when you move it to the cell and onto the name.

Click and copy as you would with any cell content.

User uploaded file

jack's address is enabled as a hyperlink. When the mouse pointer is placed on the name, it changes from the white plus sign to the pointing finger. Clicking it with that pointer will open Mail, open a new message, and paste jack's address into the To: box.

User uploaded file

You can copy it from there and paste it into the body of the message or a different message as desired. If you have set the table's column width wide enough to have some extra space in the cell (see Jack's address on the table), you can move the pointer into the empty space. The pointer will change to the white plus sign, and clicking there will select the cell and display the address in the entry bar above the table, where you can select and copy it as you would in Excel, then paste it into an email message.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 31, 2015 9:37 PM in response to chrisneska

Barry's instructions are for Numbers 2. If you have the current version of Numbers (now 3.5.3) you may not observe some of the behavior he describes, the pointing finger and all that. In Numbers 3 just click once on the cell anywhere but directly on the hyperlink text, command-c to copy, click in Mail, command-v to paste.

SG

Sep 1, 2015 5:30 AM in response to Barry

Thanks, Barry. The text is not enabled as hyperlink (got it from our Treasurer) and I went just now but didn't see a quick way to make the whole column hyperlink.

Meanwhile, I had closed the file and Numbers last night -- this morning the cut/paste is working -- it's allowing me to select the text in the cell. I tried so many ways yesterday-- not sure what happened but happy to see it is working now.

Thanks for your reply!

Sep 2, 2015 5:53 AM in response to chrisneska

Hi Chris,

Numbers 3

User uploaded file

Formula in C2 (and Fill down)

=HYPERLINK(A2,B2)

From the Function Browser (click in any spare cell and type = then type hyper)

User uploaded file

Also, have a look here:

User uploaded file

But that will work only forwards (as you type a hyperlink).

It won't work backwards to convert hyperlinks sent to you by your Treasurer.

But maybe Cut and Paste will "work forwards".

Regards,

Ian.

How do I edit or copy the text in one cell to paste into mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.