Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts deleted after signing in to iCloud

Hey, I'm using an iPhone 3GS

I hadn't signed in to iCloud earlier, and had a lot of contacts on my iPhone. I signed in to iCloud, turned on contacts, selected "merge" in the pop up that follows hoping they would get backed up to iCloud but all of them got erased instead. How can i recover them?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 10:21 AM

10 replies

Aug 31, 2015 10:40 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I have around 70 contacts that i had backed up on iCloud a long time back which are being displayed on iCloud on my computer as well as the phone, i had 700 contacts before i signed in to iCloud on my phone of which 250 were google contacts, the rest were just saved on the phone. Now i have 250 of the google contacts + 70 of the old iCloud contacts being displayed on my phone. I have a back up of my phone on iTunes which is also 2-3 months old so the contacts i saved in the last 2-3 months will be lost if i recover from there.

Aug 31, 2015 10:48 AM in response to Sunmansandhu93

I'm guessing that when you merged, you merged the existing iCloud and Google Contacts and that may not have included the contacts that you had on the phone that were not backed up anywhere. When making major changes like you did, involving the phone and two separate cloud services, you should have done them one step at a time and ensure that everything was backed up. I would have also backed up the phone before attempting the merge, so you would not have risked losing anything, if something had gone wrong. I'm not sure exactly what it was that caused the error, but as I said, it seems that the merge did not include everything you wanted it to.

Aug 31, 2015 12:21 PM in response to Sunmansandhu93

How were you getting contacts from the iPhone to iCloud to start with? Were you syncing them and that is what prompted the merge? There seem to be more than one thing going on here. You say you were trying to backup, but you were trying to put contacts on iCloud and I'm not sure what you were doing in what order. Please try and detail exactly what you were doing and in what order to see if we can figure out what happened. It doesn't sound like the merge worked, especially since you see the same contacts in iCloud and on the phone and they do not include what was originally on the phone.

Contacts deleted after signing in to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.