Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 update in Boot Camp?

I have been unable to update to Windows 10 Pro 64 in BootCamp.

The hardware:

15" Mid 2015 MacBook Pro with 16Gb ram, 1Gb SSD

Software:

OSX Yosemite 10.10.5, OSX updates current as of Aug 31, 2015

Windows 8.1 Pro (64), with all Microsoft updates installed as of Aug 31, 2015, OEM version, activated in a normal manner by Microsoft

Boot Camp Drivers ver 6.0, downloaded Aug 30, 2015

Apple Windows Software update completed as of Aug 31, 2015

I downloaded the update Windows 10 file as an ISO as instructed in: Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support

At least, to the best of my ability to understand the instructions, followed them to the letter.

My steps:

After failing to upgrade with my original Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Boot Camp installation, and after backing it up, I erased the installation and installed a clean copy of BootCamp Windows 8.1 Pro, using the BootCamp ver 6.0 drivers, Win 8.1 Pro 64 updated to all current MS updates, and activated in the normal manner. No problems.

From within the Windows 8.1 Pro BootCamp installation, I went to the Windows 10 upgrade site and downloaded the Media Creation Tool(64bit), then downloaded the upgrade version to an ISO copy as directed in the BootCamp instructions above. The ISO file downloaded to my "Documents" folder in the Win 8.1 Pro on the MacBook Pro without obvious difficulty.

I then doubled clicked on the ISO file, which after starting the Windows 10 Pro installation program, asked me for a Windows 10 product key, which I clearly do not have (a free upgrade, remember?). I skipped this step, and received an error message that it could not install several screens later.

I must be missing something, but I cannot tell what.

ARGHH!!!!

What am I missing?!?!?

Apple support says to call Microsoft support, and Microsoft support says to call Apple support!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!!!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10), 16Gb Ram, 15" Retina, 768Gb SSD

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 11:25 AM

10 replies

Aug 31, 2015 12:59 PM in response to William Mcclatchey1

William Mcclatchey1 wrote:

I then doubled clicked on the ISO file, which after starting the Windows 10 Pro installation program, asked me for a Windows 10 product key, which I clearly do not have (a free upgrade, remember?). I skipped this step, and received an error message that it could not install several screens later.

Can I suggest a slightly different approach? Backup OSX via Time Machine (or any other tool of your choice). Backup Windows via Windows Backup/Restore or File History, if possible.

You have W8.1 currently functional. Run BC Assistant, check the first two options - create a USB Installer and download software. Use a 16Gb USB2 flash drive and disconnect all other external storage, USB hubs, etc.. Point to the W10 ISO when prompted by BCA.

Once your USB installer is built, modify the USB and move the AppleSSD folder to a different location (see the screen shot for an example destination). You do not need the 5.1.5621 folder (in my case I needed it for a W7 installation). After the modifications to the USB are complete, shutdown your Mac and power it back up and use the Alt/Option key to select the USB Windows installer. If you see two choices Windows and EFI boot, post back here (we will need to determine which one to use based on your existing W8.1 installation).

The USB structure should look like

User uploaded file

This step is necessary to avoid issues with an unsigned AppleSSD.sys driver.

Aug 31, 2015 5:21 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread. I am grateful.

I tried what you suggest, and using a USB drive, the update software errored out shortly after starting.

Using the USB drive is at odds with the instructions in the Apple BootCamp to W10 instructions, which clearly state that you must use the ISO file.

From the instructions: Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support

"Windows 10 is available from Microsoft as an ISO file, an installation DVD, and a USB flash drive. You need an ISO file of the 64-bit version of the Windows 10 installer to install Windows on your Mac. If you don't have an ISO file, you can use Disk Utility to make one from your Windows installation DVD or USB flash drive."

The instrutions from Apple seem clear, but they apparently do not work. I repeat them here for the update:

Upgrading from 64-bit versions of Windows

You can upgrade existing 64-bit installations of Windows 7, or 8.1 to Windows 10. You need at least 10 GB of free space on your Windows partition. If you have Windows 8.0, update to Windows 8.1 before upgrading to Windows 10.

1. Use the list at the end of this article to make sure you have a Mac that supports Windows 10.
  2. Start your Mac from OS X.
  3. When your Mac desktop appears, choose App Store from the Apple menu. Click the Updates tab in the App Store window to check for software updates. Make sure OS X and your Mac firmware are up to date.
  4. Start your Mac from the version of Windows you currently have installed.
  5. Open Apple Software Update for Windows and install available updates, including the FaceTime Camera Update.
    Use the Windows installer to upgrade Windows.
  6. After installation is complete, open Apple Software Update for Windows again and install available updates to make sure the Windows Support Software (drivers) for Boot Camp are up to date. As part of driver installation, your Mac might restart one or more times.

After driver installation is complete, log in to Windows to begin using Windows 10 on your Mac.

I have not tried to remove the appleSSD64 file, and will try this later tonight.

This should not be a challenging installation, and I do not understand why Apple's clear instructions do nor function for the update...

Thanks again for taking the time to respond...

Aug 31, 2015 8:11 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you again for your patience.

I believe that the process described in this document is for a new installation, not an upgrade.

I can only download the upgrade software to the Win 8.1 BootCamp partition, and when I try to create a USB drive using this ISO, after copying it to the OSX desktop, or when sourcing it in the first step of creating a 16Gb USB directly to the Win 8.1 file on the windows partition using BCA, it provides an error message to the effect that it must have a 64 bit ISO (which is what I have downloaded).

When I tried to directly create a USB using the Microsoft process to download the Win10 upgrade file using the Windows "MediaCreationTool64.exe", the setup process appeared to start in a normal manner, but asked for an activation key, which Microsoft asserts is not necessary for an upgrade, and if I then continue, it crashes.

I continue to be quite frustrated, and may just remain with Win 8.1 Pro until I can buy a copy of Win10 for a de novo installation.

But I am astounded that this process appears to be obscure and complex, in spite of both Apple and Microsoft's assurances that it can be done.

Sep 1, 2015 8:00 AM in response to William Mcclatchey1

William Mcclatchey1 wrote:

I can only download the upgrade software to the Win 8.1 BootCamp partition, and when I try to create a USB drive using this ISO, after copying it to the OSX desktop, or when sourcing it in the first step of creating a 16Gb USB directly to the Win 8.1 file on the windows partition using BCA, it provides an error message to the effect that it must have a 64 bit ISO (which is what I have downloaded).

You may be downloading a mixed 32-bit and 64-bit ISO. Please try to download a 64-bit only ISO and test. The USB created this way, also allows an Upgrade installation.

When I tried to directly create a USB using the Microsoft process to download the Win10 upgrade file using the Windows "MediaCreationTool64.exe", the setup process appeared to start in a normal manner, but asked for an activation key, which Microsoft asserts is not necessary for an upgrade, and if I then continue, it crashes.

I continue to be quite frustrated, and may just remain with Win 8.1 Pro until I can buy a copy of Win10 for a de novo installation.

But I am astounded that this process appears to be obscure and complex, in spite of both Apple and Microsoft's assurances that it can be done.

The normal process is to use the Upgrade icon in the System Tray.

Windows 10 update in Boot Camp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.