Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I wipe my hard drive?

I recently bought an external hard drive to transfer all of my files off my Macbook Pro so I can wipe it clean.

I successfully backed up my computer with the help of Time Machine.

My questions is: How do I wipe my hard drive? Step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated!

**I don't believe I have access to any disks that came with the computer when I purchased it (6 years ago). Is there anyway around not having the disks? Once my hard drive is clean can I update my computer to the new operating system? Is that free (dumb question?)?

***My computer knowledge base is quite minimal at best.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 10:24 AM

6 replies

Aug 31, 2015 10:33 AM in response to KDannen

For an older model MacBook you WILL need to have a 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD on hand (available from the Apple Online store for about US$20.) The Utilities on the DVD provide the required "alternate source of software" needed to repair (or wipe) your drive.

BUT -- You do not yet have enough Backups to wipe your drive and have a reasonable hope of keeping all your files. ANY problem with that One Time Machine Backup and your files may be lost. TWO copies are required before wiping your only other copy.

Why are you so eager to "Wipe Your Drive" ?? that is not a normal part of any Upgrade process on a Mac -- it is used when you have a disaster.

If you have experienced a disaster, won't you share the details of it and let Readers help you through it?

Aug 31, 2015 10:47 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

As of right now I am unable to do anything with my computer because the hard drive is "full." I don't know why because I hardly do anything other than school related uses. I do, however, have quite a few GoPro videos from my research, which I assume is how I filled my hard drive up. My computer also disabled one of my USB ports, so now I can only use one.

I figured if I wiped my computer then I could do more with it.

Is there something else I could do to my hard drive to allow me to upgrade to the new operating system and/or download the new Microsoft Office package and /or download software needed for my research?

I have previously backed up my computer on my external. So I believe that takes care of that issue.

Aug 31, 2015 10:59 AM in response to cabakroll

So what you're saying is delete all of my Document files and Photos/Videos and that should give me enough space to update to the new operating system?

If I can update, will I have more 'space' to download all the software I need/want?

If I have access to free Microsoft Office Packages through my school, can I delete what I already have on my computer?

Thanks everyone for the help....If there was one person who should not own a single piece of technology, it's me haha.

How do I wipe my hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.