Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What constitutes an out of warranty repair?

My iPhone 6 was dropped and the screen was shattered in the upper right corner. It functioned fine for a bit, but now when I unlock the phone the screen slowly fades to white and becomes unresponsive. I contacted apple via chat and found that it could be replaced for $109. However, they stated if it is severe damage that it could cost up to $299. I'm assuming they're referring to the out-of-warranty price. My question is what additional damage makes it out of warranty?

It is less than a year old and the screen is the only damage. As far as I can tell it still functions properly, the screen just fades out after a few seconds of use. Obviously there are some scratches and dings on the aluminum since it was dropped. I've heard rumors that any dents from a drop can push it into an out of warranty repair and raise the price to $299.

Any info is appreciated.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 12:16 PM

5 replies

Aug 31, 2015 12:24 PM in response to TimHonk

The $109 would be to just replace the display in your current device. However, if while checking it out they discover additional damage, then they may have to just replace the entire phone with a fully factory refurbished one. They cannot know until they have it in hand whether just the display was damaged, or whether other internal components were also damaged. The screen is the only obvious and visible damage, but you cannot know what else may be damaged just by looking at the device.

Aug 31, 2015 12:29 PM in response to TimHonk

Technically speaking, a broken screen is an out of warranty repair. Warranties only cover manufacturing defects, accidental damage is not a defect, and as such is not covered. Which is why it has a cost. Any in-warranty repairs would free.

However, Apple does offer a screen repair service. If and only if the screen is the only thing that needs replacing, it will cost the aforementioned $109.

If anything else is found to be having issues, then, the entire iPhone would be replaced for a refurbished unit for the price of $299.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

What constitutes an out of warranty repair?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.