Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro will no longer receive iMessages

When I first got my macbook pro and set it up, I was automatically able to connect my iMessage from my iPhone 6 to my macbook. About a month later one day my iMessage randomly stopped working and I can no longer receive or send texts from my mac. Ive tried several different things, non of which will work. How do I fix this??

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 12:49 PM

3 replies

Aug 31, 2015 2:26 PM in response to chammock

Hi,

iMessages is the use of the Apple ID as the ID to register with the server and used to describe the overall process.

Separately you can link the iPhone and Mac so that the two Messages apps are passing SMS (Text) with the iPhone as a relay to the phone carrier's SMS service.

You can have situations where the iMessage account was logged in and you linked the iPhone and Mac for Text Forwarding (SMS).

From there it is possible for the Mac to lose contact with the iMessages server but still get SMS as the iPhone is the relay.

You seem to be using the words text and iMessages interchangeably and they are not.

User uploaded file

10:26 p.m. Monday; August 31, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Macbook Pro will no longer receive iMessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.