Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband input monitoring cuts out when inactive

Garageband 10.1.0

OS X 10.10.5

I use garageband as a headphone amp to learn songs and write parts. Track one is an amp modeler for the line-in, with my bass guitar plugged in. USB interface for both input (passive bass) and output (headphones)

Channel two is the song I am learning, mp3 file.

The problem I'm having: I have to hit the PLAY or RECORD button for input monitoring to work. I can stop the track and input monitoring keeps working as long as I continue playing. If I stop playing for more than 3 seconds, Garageband turns off my bass (like a noise gate, my bass' natural hum disappears suddenly). When I go to play again, I'm not hearing my bass. No input monitoring. It's still turned on @ the track. If I press play again, it returns. Repeat ad infinitum to learn a song.

How can I make input monitoring persistent? I need to listen some, play along some... then stop the track and play bass solo, write some notes down, play again, etc. It's extremely annoying to have to slam the space bar twice every time I want to hear my bass guitar in the app.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Time Warner Cable, 60 mbps/ 5 mbps

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 12:58 PM

4 replies

Sep 1, 2015 7:10 PM in response to atomheart4

Agreed. It makes the program useless to me.

Even if I was using Garageband as Apple intended (recording), I wouldn't want my instrument to cut-out every three seconds while I was auditioning amp modelers, effects, setting levels etc.

Anybody have a solution? I'm guessing it doesn't happen to many others as this is a major functionality problem that would get quick attention.

Garageband input monitoring cuts out when inactive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.