Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First Gen iPad starts on wall charger but not on any iMacs or MacBook Pros.

I have a first gen iPad that will not start up. When I connect it to a wall charger (12W) it starts to boot over and over. If I pull the power, press the home button, and press the power in I get the 'Plug me into USB' graphic. However if I plug it into any of my 12 Macs (modern MacBook Pros and iMacs) the iPad will never start up. I have let it sit on the wall charger for hours just in case the battery was low but I see only the situation I described above. Any suggestions?

iPad, iOS 7, Actually not sure which iOS is inst

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 12:38 PM

2 replies

Aug 31, 2015 12:46 PM in response to Arthur Busbey

Sounds like the battery is dead, and needs to be replaced.

With that said however, most USB ports on computers do not provide enough power to adequately charge an iPad.

If you are getting the iTunes icon with the USB cable, then that means it needs to be restored through iTunes additionally. It has nothing to do with charging or the battery.

Being a first gen iPad, i doubt its worth it to try and fix. Better to save up for a new one. Even a refurbished one from the last couple of years would be a better choice.

First Gen iPad starts on wall charger but not on any iMacs or MacBook Pros.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.