Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to force windows 10 to use AHCI mode instead of IDE on macbook pro 2011 without affecting the sleep/wake mode or any other ...

I am having problems with an SSD that uses IDE driver.

I tried BOOTICE a program that modifies the MBR but it affects the sleep/wake mode.

Otherwise installs the AHCI drivers and the performance increases 2x of the SSD.

My question is how to enable AHCI after installing windows 10 ?

On a normal computer BIOS will have all options, but how to do it on a mac?

Would a mac genius be able to help with that?

Thank you.

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 12:37 PM

8 replies

Aug 31, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Ole_Oie

Understand that AHCI is set in a BIOS. That cannot be changed on Macs because the BIOS is burned into the boot ROM. All drives including SSDs use AHCI because you could not boot a Mac using IDE. This may not be true for hackintoshes, however. If your SSD is not running as expected then it may be connected externally rather than internally or you have an older Mac that does not support 6.0 Gb/s SATA III.

Nov 18, 2015 3:16 PM in response to Kappy

Why do you answer if you don't know? Macs use a new extensible firmware interface (EFI), instead of a BIOS. Windows can access all the BIOS-equivalent EFI settings with the drivers that were installed by the Boot Camp Assistant. The problem is that for 3d party disks (some say that it goes for Apple disks too but I haven't tried that) the Boot Camp Assistant disables AHCI support for Windows in Boot Camp and forces Windows to use ATA controller disk drivers instead (pciide instead of iastor), which is considerably slower than AHCI and has less features. For example you wont have TRIM support on your SSD Boot Camp Windows. Without TRIM on that partition that Windows will get slower and slower. I guess that the AHCI issue is the same as with 3d party SSDs and TRIM in MacOS, Apple don't want us to use cheaper 3d party stuff. There are some rather complicated fixes to enable AHCI in Boot Camp Windows and BOOTICE, as mentioned above is one method. I just wish that Apple would fix this in Boot Camp Assistant, but I guess they want Windows to run slow in their hardware.

Nov 18, 2015 4:52 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I didn't ask, I replied to a misleading answer to the original question in this thread. I was searching for solutions to the same question that the OP asked. There seem to be no good solution. AHCI can be enabled and the disk speed is doubled but you loose sleep mode in Windows and so on. Wrong answers like the one I answered to and also your reply to me to ask a question that I never asked in the right community just spams the forum. Besides I have a MacBook Pro with a 3d party SSD and both the AHCI and the TRIM problem mostly concerns MBP.

Nov 18, 2015 5:08 PM in response to _MacArthur_

_MacArthur_ wrote:

Why do you answer if you don't know?

This is a bit unnecessary, don't you think?

_MacArthur_ wrote:

Why do you answer if you don't know? Macs use a new extensible firmware interface (EFI), instead of a BIOS. Windows can access all the BIOS-equivalent EFI settings with the drivers that were installed by the Boot Camp Assistant. The problem is that for 3d party disks (some say that it goes for Apple disks too but I haven't tried that) the Boot Camp Assistant disables AHCI support for Windows in Boot Camp and forces Windows to use ATA controller disk drivers instead (pciide instead of iastor), which is considerably slower than AHCI and has less features.

That is incorrect. On a 2012 13-in MBP with a W8.1 BC (using CSM-BIOS not EFI) installation on a Samsung840 Pro, without any modifications to MBR whatsoever, I have...

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I guess that the AHCI issue is the same as with 3d party SSDs and TRIM in MacOS, Apple don't want us to use cheaper 3d party stuff. There are some rather complicated fixes to enable AHCI in Boot Camp Windows and BOOTICE, as mentioned above is one method. I just wish that Apple would fix this in Boot Camp Assistant, but I guess they want Windows to run slow in their hardware.

The TRIM issue can be addressed using a modified KEXT (search for TRIM enabler). It removes the 'Apple SSD' string and bypasses the Apple-specific TRIM support. Please also see http://blog.macsales.com/11051-to-trim-or-not-to-trim-owc-has-the-answer and the dependency on controller implementations of garbage collection. I have seen cloning products cause problems when SysPrep is run and images get moved to new Macs.

Nov 19, 2015 4:44 AM in response to Loner T

The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the UEFI firmware that provides legacy BIOS compatibility by emulating a BIOS environment, allowing legacy operating systems and some option ROMs that do not support UEFI to still be used. In other words, you are using EFI. On the other hand you seem to have figured out something that no one else managed to do. The web is full of users who are struggling to get AHCI working on the Boot Camp partition. Google "enable sata ahci in windows bootcamp" and you see what I mean. The usual solution involves quite complicated Windows registry changes, MBR changes and boot from external volume. That enables AHCI and TRIM in Windows but gives problems with sleep mode and sound card drivers etc. I have tried this on a Samsung EVO 840 256 GB SSD OSX 10.9-10.10, and now recently on a Crucial MX200 512 GB SSD OSX 10.11 in a MBP late 2011, with Windows 7. It all becomes virtual ATA IDE disks and judging from the many web discussions in the matter everyone else except you have the same problem. Would you please be so kind as to share with all of us what you did?

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/tutorial-enable-sata-ahci-mode-in-windows-7- 8-8-1-10.1908034/

http://www.adminsehow.com/2012/10/how-to-enable-ahci-support-for-windows-on-an-i mac-macbook-or-etc/

TRIM in 3d party disks is no longer a problem in OSX since Apple included a new command named “trimforce” in a minor update to OS X 10.10 Yosemite — OS X 10.10.4. This utility is also included in OS X 10.11 El Capitan. All you need to do to enable that is to open Terminal and write the command - sudo trimforce enable. Works perfectly well without KEXT signing changes in most modern SSDs (there are some exceptions like the Samsung 8** series).

http://www.howtogeek.com/222077/how-to-enable-trim-for-third-party-ssds-on-mac-o s-x/

How to force windows 10 to use AHCI mode instead of IDE on macbook pro 2011 without affecting the sleep/wake mode or any other ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.