Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive problems

Hi all, Iam wandering if there is somebody else who is experiencing the same problem as me and my late 2013 mac book pro.After updating to Yosemite my Seagate goflex for mac as stopped working on my mbp. (I use this to store photos from work on it).When i plug it in the lights come on as if its about to fire up but then nothing,it can't even be found in finder. Even plugging it in on my iMac it still won't work.But then i remembered it had a firewire800 adaptor which when i plug it into my iMac now works.the problem now, how do i get it to work on my mbp without firewire800 plug. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Rob

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 11:14 AM

4 replies

Aug 31, 2015 1:07 PM in response to robertfrombath

robertfrombath wrote:

The answer is no I'm afraid, not even on my iMac.unless its connected by the fw800 cable then it appears on my desktop.

This is not clear to me.

An external HDD should appear on the desktop if Finder preferences have been set to show them.

If it appears in Disk Utility, have you selected the external HDD and Run Disk Utility>First Aid?

Ciao.

Aug 31, 2015 1:53 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hi again, it does not make any sense to me either. this only started when i upgraded to Yosemite.i have all the settings where i want them.but it still won't appear either on the desktop, finder or disk utility,unless i connect to iMac through firewire800.then no problem. Maybe I'm clutching at straws, but i think apple have done something to the power output through Yosemite hence it now only works with a firewire cable.

Rob

external hard drive problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.