Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod will not sync and iTunes won't upgrade

Yesterday I thought this problem was successfully resolved. I have a 2nd generation iPod and a Macbook 5,2 purchased July of 2009. After many difficulties, I upgraded to 10.6.3, but then iTunes wouldn't sync with my device or even recognize it was plugged in. I finally did a clean install of 10.6.3, and then my iPod would sync. I was very happy, but I still couldn't use dropbox, something I need to do. So I then upgraded to 10.6.8, and, while the computer upgraded fine as near as I can tell - it says it is running 10.6.8 - it again refused to play nice with the iPod. So, following previous directions, I tried to upgrade to iTunes 12.2.2. I did this by clicking on the iTunes name and going down the pull-down menu to "check for updates". Then I told it that yes, I wanted to update to 12.2.2. I clicked everything it told me to click, I agreed with everything it told me to do, and I restarted the computer when it said to do so. However, the computer would not shut down fully and needed me to force it to power down. I did this after 30 minutes of looking at a starry screen which was not shutting down. Before I started trying to upgrade, the computer would restart without problems. After the clean install it would restart without problems.

Now my iPod will not sync with iTunes, and even though I did everything I know how to do to upgrade, I am not running iTunes 12.2.2 but am still on 10.6.3. When I connect my iPod, iPhoto starts up and recognizes my device, but iTunes does nothing. What do I do now?

Thank you very much for considering my question.

iPod touch (2nd generation)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 11:52 AM

13 replies

Aug 31, 2015 12:12 PM in response to tpcase

iTunes version 12.2.2 at the minimum requires a Mac running v10.7 Lion or later.

Mac System Requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel processor
  • To play 720p HD video, an iTunes LP, or iTunes Extras, a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor is required
  • To play 1080p HD video, a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor and 2GB of RAM is required
  • Screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater; 1280x800 or greater is required to play an iTunes LP or iTunes Extras
  • Broadband Internet connection to use Apple Music, the iTunes Store, and iTunes Extras
  • Apple combo drive or SuperDrive to create audio, MP3, or back-up CDs; some non-Apple CD-RW recorders may also work. Songs from the Apple Music catalog cannot be burned to a CD.

• OS X version 10.7.5 or later, Apple Music requires OS X version 10.9.5 or later
  • 400MB of available disk space
  • Apple Music, Apple Music Radio, iTunes in the Cloud, and iTunes Match availability may vary by country
  • iTunes Extras require OS X version 10.10.3 or later

That information is also available here > iTunes - Download iTunes Now - Apple

The most recent version of iTunes 12.2.2 can't run on a Mac with OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard installed. You would have to upgrade to a newer OS X.

See if your Mac can run v10.7 Lion > System requirements for OS X Lion

OS X Lion is available for purchase at the Apple Store > OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple

If you do purchase v10.7 Lion, Apple will send you an email notification with a redemption code you can use at the App Store to download v10.7 Lion.

Even though you purchased your Mac July of 2009, that's cutting it rather close to meet the requirements for the latest OS X v10 Yosemite > Apple - OS X Yosemite - How to Upgrade

Aug 31, 2015 12:17 PM in response to tpcase

Sorry, I forgot to respond to the last half. I *think* I can upgrade to Lion if needed. My "About This Mac" says I have 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, which I think qualifies and for memory it says I have 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. The system requirements say I need 2 GB of RAM and 7 GB of available disc space. I think that's what's going to get me, but I don't know how to find out if I have 7GB of regular space. I poked around in the "more information" slot on that "about this mac" box, and I never found any number that looked like 7GB of anything.

Thanks for helping.

Aug 31, 2015 12:19 PM in response to tpcase

So, since all that worked before was a clean install of 10.6.3, does that mean that I do need to go back to that and never upgrade again? I know this is old equipment, and I did know that I would reach a limit of what software it could accept. Is the problem that I have now exceeded that limit?

Thanks

Aug 31, 2015 12:51 PM in response to tpcase

I am confused. In the the last post in your previous discussion

My iPod will no longer sync after I upgraded.

HALLELUJAH!! I performed a clean install of Snow Leopard, erasing the old information and starting from the beginning on a clean slate. As soon as I did that, when I plugged in my iPod it synced just as if there had never been a problem. It now shows up just as normal on iTunes.

I did the clean install because there were now enough dirty installs that I was concerned that adding the 10.6.8 update would complicate matters deep in the hard drive somewhere. The plan is to update as before, but I wanted you to know that the problem now appears to be resolved. Yay! And, thank you so very much.

Do you have a problem now?

What OSX version is installed?

Your MacBook Pro 5.2 can go to Yosemite which is free. Yu have to Pay for Lion.

However, 2 GB of RAM is really not enough for Yosemeite

Aug 31, 2015 1:14 PM in response to lllaass

When I replied to you, everything * was* working fine. I synced my iPod after the clean install, and then I told you it worked and marked the problem as solved. Then I foolishly decided to complete the upgrade to 10.6.8, and that's when things fell apart again. That night before I went to bed I clicked the "Software Update" link under the apple and went to bed. The next morning, iTunes refused to talk to my iPod. So, I used the two links you gave me to upgrade to 10.6.8, but that did not solve the problem.

I guessed that, since that problem was marked as solved, that I couldn't respond to it directly but would need to create a new thread. So, I did.

Any thoughts as to what I should do now?

Thanks.

My iPod will not sync and iTunes won't upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.