Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts crash caused by NSException error

When I attempt to add (or even look up) a new Contact (in O/S 10.9.5) the application crashes and presents a long summary of the reason.

The Executive Summary: "NSInternalInconsistencyException 'Unable to process an invalid response from the Exchange Server: response set count does not match request size.' NSException Error."

The Exchange Server's keeper says it is a "MAC problem." Duh.😮

Since the application will not stay open, I cannot do an export of my contacts, to do a rebuild/re-install of the O/S.

1) Is there a preference file that I could delete and have the app auto-rebuild? If so, a hint on the path would be VERY helpful.

2) If I update to Yosemite and have it import my settings, etc. will the problem migrate to the new O/S?

3) If the problem is on the Exchange Server side, any suggestions on what the keeper needs to fix?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 11:25 AM

2 replies

Aug 31, 2015 4:54 PM in response to Solo Mac Tech

If you are using Outlook or Entourage:

1) On some versions of Office, there is a Database rebuild program. You may be able to use that to fix it. Alternatively, you could export your contacts and only reimport the most important after deleting all of them. vCards can be used by Apple's Addressbook program. Alternatively, you can try to catalog all your attachments separate from Outlook. And you can make an effort to export and detach the largest attachments in your email. This will help make the database less problematic for rebuild. And since you say your program will not stay open, it probably is best to simple open it with the internet turned off, or booting in safe mode with the Shift key selected.

2) Upgrading to Yosemite will not repair the problem. It is likely your database has gotten corrupt.

If you are using the built-in Apple Mail capability for Exchange, and remember your password, com.apple.mail.plist can be removed, and you can recreate your settings from scratch. Backup any locally stored e-mails before proceeding. Those are using in Users -> your name -> Library -> Mail and Users -> your name -> Library -> Mail Downloads.

Contacts crash caused by NSException error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.