Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp to play Dragon Age Inquisition

Okay, so I've wanted to bootcamp windows on my computer for quite awhile now, mostly because there's a lot of software that isn't available for mac. Right now the software I want to download is Dragon Age: Inquisition and Paint Tool SAI.

I bought Parallels, which sucked. It was awful. I was told that it wouldn't be a problem with my processing speed, but when I opened windows it was weirdly blurry and when I played Dragon Age it was stuttering and choppy the whole time. Unfortunately, you can't return Parallels, and I don't know if it can ever be used again once the activation code was used. So... if anyone wants a potentially completely useless version of Parallels, let me know.

So I decided to try bootcamp (which I was stupid enough to not use in the first place, because I have Yosemite and for some reason windows 7 doesn't work on that) and traded in windows 7 for windows 8. I've heard that windows 8 is absolutely awful, so I was planning on getting the "free upgrade" for windows 10, but I have no idea if that would even WORK using bootcamp.

I have a Macbook Pro with these specs:

• 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache
  • Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • 512GB PCIe-based flash storage
  • Intel Iris Pro Graphics
  • AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching

If I missed anything, here's the linkto the specs. It's the last one on the right.

In order to run Dragon Age Inquisition, these specs are required:

Minimum:

• CPU: AMD quad core CPU @ 2.5 GHz; Intel quad core CPU @ 2.0 GHz
  • System RAM: 4 GB
  • Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 4870; NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
  • Graphics Memory: 512 MB
  • Hard Drive: 26 GB
  • DirectX: 10

Recommended:

• CPU: AMD six core CPU @ 3.2 GHz; Intel quad core CPU @ 3.0 GHz
  • System RAM: 8 GB
  • Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7870 or R9 270; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
  • Graphics Memory: 2 GB
  • Hard Drive: 26 GB
  • DirectX: 11

I want to be able to play this game. It's not the only reason I bought windows, but I still want to be able to play it, I'm just not sure how to make that happen without it being choppy and laggy and basically unplayable.

So basically

1. Can/should I install windows 8 on bootcamp and then upgrade to windows 10
  2. Can my mac even run Inquisition appropriately
  3. How much "space" (I am so sorry. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called) should I give to Windows? I won't be able to change it after that, so all of that... whatever its called is gone from my mac and will presumably make it run less smoothly/slower.

Sorry this is so long and complicated!! I appreciate any help at all, thank you!!

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 4:02 PM

6 replies

Aug 31, 2015 4:11 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you, I definitely plan to. People say Windows 8 sucked, but is it a processing issue, or is it just an annoying format? I can deal with annoying format issues.

Do you know how much space I should allot to Windows vs Mac? I was told 40-45GB at a minimum, but I don't know if that's actually a good idea or not, and since I can't change it I wanted to be sure before I do it (and know how it'll affect my macbook)

Aug 31, 2015 5:08 PM in response to jankkarinkatu

Hi. Boot Camp will allow you to split hard disk space in half or size it to your needs. Mac OSX requires a minimum of 27 (30) GB. Boot Camp will not let you go lower than the minimum for the OSX partition. That being said. I have a 500 GB HD in my Mac Mini and run Mac OS X on 100 GB. The rest is for Windows. Boot Camp's minimum for Windows is 20 GB. I, personally, think that's too low. 50 to 80 GB would leave you enough disk space for personal files and software installation. Hope this answers your question. Cheers!!

Aug 31, 2015 5:30 PM in response to jankkarinkatu

The Windows installation derives some files sizes from the available memory on other factors. Also, remember, once Windows is installed, depending on your installation, there is no Apple-supported method of re-sizing/re-partitioning Bootcamped Macs. Minimum installations are very painful to manage. I would recommend dividing your hard disk in half.

Bootcamp to play Dragon Age Inquisition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.