Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Line Input selection on MBP 11,1 Retina

I am helping a lady who is trying to transfer audio cassettes from a small player to her MacBook Pro 13 inch Retina, model 11,1. Using an audio cable with 3.5 mm male plugs on each end, I plugged one end into the headphone connection on the player and the other end on the headphone connection on the MBP and started the player. I did this thinking that I would be able to use this headphone port on the MBP as an audio in port. I then went to System Preferences > Sound > Input and there was no selection for "Line Input", just the internal microphone. QuickTime's Audio Recording didn't have this selection either.

Any ideas why there would be no Line Input selection?

Since she has AppleCare we called Apple and they said this model had to use audio input to USB, so she has ordered an adapter for the cable to USB. I was not aware that Line In had to use USB on this model, either, but then I'm not an audio geek. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 2:44 PM

28 replies

Aug 31, 2015 3:03 PM in response to cabakroll

Thanks, cabakroll. So, she WILL have to use the USB port for the audio input from this cassette player? Is that right? The player is basically a radio,CD,cassette player that you can buy at Walmart, or similar retail store. Obviously, there is no preamp on it...just a headphone jack.

I can do what I have described on my 8 year old MBP, but it has a separate audio line in port. I wonder why Apple has not provided something similar on the newer MBPs?

Aug 31, 2015 4:09 PM in response to plcmms

all Macs have line–in port so input signal must be amplified

i don’t know what cassette player you have and if that player can transfer audio trough USB

you can tell me exact model so i will look for solution or just buy cheap USB audio interface with amplified audio input

USB audio in the picture below cost about $5

http://ingnuo.com/images/soundcard.jpg

Aug 31, 2015 5:13 PM in response to cabakroll

Thanks for the reply. Please stick with me as I am still a little confused and have some questions and I think you can teach me something.

You said "all Macs have line–in port so input signal must be amplified". When I plug my iPhone into the Audio In port of my MBP 3,1 I get a Line Input selection in System Preferences > Sound and am able to play audio from my iPhone on the MBP and all is good. Does that mean that my MBP has a preamp and is able to accept the iPhone audio signal?

On her MBP 11,1 there is not an Audio In port, like on mine, but only the headphone jack (which is why I thought it doubled as an audio in connection) and I get no Line Input selection in System Preferences > Sound pane. Does that mean that this connection does not have a preamp and does not accept audio in signals? Does this Mac have a line-in port?

The lady has a player similar to this and can not transfer audio via USB.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CFDS50-Portable-Cassette-Boombox/dp/B00INEG8W4

The adapter that she ordered looks very similar to the image you included (Thank you!!). It is a 3.5mm to USB adapter for headphone and microphone inputs. Does a mic signal not require a preamp and that is why this will work using USB?

Thanks very much for your help.

Aug 31, 2015 6:01 PM in response to plcmms

1) if you get audio from iPhone it means that iPhone has preamped audio output

2) Macbook Air have combined port – in/out in one connector, if you don’t get input signal that means that signal is not preamped

3) mic signal requires amplification and USB audio from my picture has that feature, if your lady ordered similar it’s gonna be ok

Aug 31, 2015 6:46 PM in response to cabakroll

Here's the adapter she ordered from Newegg, which is very similar to the image you posted;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232050&cm_re=3.5mm_to_u sb_audio_adapter-_-12-232-050-_-Product

It says "USB Stereo Audio Adapter for Microphone & Headphone". Is this the USB interface Csound1 is referring to? Is there a little preamp inside the case (your image seems to show something like that in there)?

On her cassette player she only has a headphone jack for audio out and that is what I plan on using to plug into this adapter. I just don't know what level this is. Are you saying that if I plug this into the mic port of the adapter the Mac will see this as a Line Input and will work?

I plugged her audio cable into my iPhone's headphone jack and the other end into my MBP's Audio In port and was able to record on my MBP. Since the iPhone jack is used as a headphone out I would assume the same level is used on the cassette player. Is that not correct? I then disconnected and plugged into her headphone jack of her MBP (not a MacBook Air) and it was a no-go, so I guess the level was too low to be detected. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help. This is rather confusing since the specs of the Mac does not make it clear to me what will work and what will not. I then have to depend on you guys to sort all this out...and I really appreciate it.

Aug 31, 2015 7:06 PM in response to plcmms

plcmms wrote:

Here's the adapter she ordered from Newegg, which is very similar to the image you posted;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232050&cm_re=3.5mm_to_u sb_audio_adapter-_-12-232-050-_-Product

It says "USB Stereo Audio Adapter for Microphone & Headphone". Is this the USB interface Csound1 is referring to? Is there a little preamp inside the case (your image seems to show something like that in there)?

Yes it is.

It will work, but don't expect much quality from a $9.99 interface.

Also please note that it is not a preamp (and one is not needed) it is a DAC (Digital Audio Converter), it is very cheap so as I said before, don't expect much.

Aug 31, 2015 7:14 PM in response to Csound1

Since I am no audiophile I would really appreciate a suggestion on what she needs to purchase, and the cheaper the better. These audio tapes are not classical music. They are old and made by someone speaking into a small cassette recorder with a built in mic (certainly mono) so there is a lot of ambient noise and has poor audio quality. A little noise added from a poor quality adapter will not be noticed.

No Line Input selection on MBP 11,1 Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.