Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MagSafe 2 - 2 prong v. 3 prong plug

If I use the 2 prong plug on the MagSafe 2 Power Adapter to connect with a surge protector will it provide the same level of surge protection as the 3 prong plug?

Or is the surge protection function built into the MagSafe 2 Adapter and equally functional regardless of the plug used?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 12:03 AM

The Apple power adapter includes over-voltage, over-current, over-temperature, and limited noise protection circuitry. It was never designed to provide the same level of functionality as a standalone surge protector.

2 replies

Sep 1, 2015 7:36 AM in response to carl wolf

Thanks Carl. You answered my question about the functionality of the MagSafe 2 adapter.

Concerning the use of a surge protector I subsequently have learned that as long as it has 3 prongs plugged into the wall outlet it will protect all connected devices, regardless of whether they are connected to the surge protector with 2 prongs or 3 prongs.

http://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/9376/does-a-device-with-a-two-prong-plug- need-surge-protection

MagSafe 2 - 2 prong v. 3 prong plug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.