Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD Studio Pro DVD Won't Play on Other Computers

I've been trying to burn a DVD of a 4 minute clip using DVD Studio Pro 4.2.2. It will play on the work computer I created it on, as well as another computer at work. However, it won't play on my personal Macbook Pro or an old DVD player. It is an SD project. The original file is 720x480 and after I put it through Compressor (using all presets under Apple/DVD/DVD:Best Quality 90 minutes to make the m2v and ac3 files) it gives me a 654x480 file.

I drag both the m2v and ac3 file into the assets bin in DVDSP then drag them onto the first track, delete the menu, and set the video to fast play. Then I go to "Build/Format", give it a name, location, uncheck "DVD-ROM Data", choose "Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-112D" for the output device, uncheck "DVD-R Simulation mode" and check "Lossless Linking". Under "Disc/Volume" I choose "Red Laser" "Single". I read on one post that if "Blue Laser" is available as an option, it means I am trying to make an HD DVD. This is available as an option for me, but I have gone to Preferences and the side bar and they both say it is an SD project. Then I hit "Build and Burn". I get the following in my log:

Any advice?

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information>

DVD Studio Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 3:00 PM

2 replies

Nov 16, 2015 4:25 PM in response to Kari S

There are a few things that can be causing the issue. (And it also could be something in Mavericks, I have a Snow Leopard machine dedicated for DVD SP)

One the different computers, Apple DVD player (in preferences) may not be set to auto play the video when being placed in the computer. It may also be a DVD Player (the physical drive itself) having dirty lens and/or going bad. I have seen it happen, and when they run into issues, they can be wildly inconsistent in terms of playing one DVD and not another. Check preference and also see if you can just use the Open VIDEO_TS from the File Manu in DVD Player.

In the older DVD Player, the issues of bad drives can also have the same issue. And it really can drive you crazy. Additionally, depending on the DVD Player (more so with older players) if you are using DVD+R blank discs, it may not play. There is also an issue with some players of buffering. Usually it is best to point to a 3-5 second black movie/slug. Check to also make sure that there is an AUDIO_TS folder on the build. Again some players may run into issues (older players more) if there is no AUDIO_TS folder. Lastly make sure you have a menu in the project and did not delete it since you just have a movie.

Check the settings on the encode. SD video (depending on where you are looking at it for properties in QT) may show different sizes. Check to make sure that you are encoding to the proper playback (NTSC or PAL). This can also be affecting the playback on the computer - one may be set for NTSC or PAL Region and play the (NTSC or PAL) DVD while the other may not. Usually there will be a warning about asking to switch Region or PAL , but there is a limit on how many times it can be changed.

The default settings in Compressor also need to be tweaked, sometimes too high a bit rate in the video and/or audio can cause playback issues (more often these are in "glitchy" playback.)

One last trick is to Build the DVD, then use Format to DVD (in other words do not do both steps at once.) And also another one last trick, you may want to put multiple copies of the video on the track if it is going to loop as compared to putting into a loop on four minutes. Stops the machine from having to refocus.

Check the settings for the audio here

http://dvdstepbystep.com/fasttrackover.php

Some links with settings and further information

http://dvdstepbystep.com/commons.php

http://dvdstepbystep.com/qc.php

DVD Studio Pro DVD Won't Play on Other Computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.