Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX crashes

FCPX crashes numerous times per day.

any insight?

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 2:10 PM

9 replies

Aug 31, 2015 11:09 PM in response to lzskier

Hey there. I am on FCP X many hours a day with up to 150 gigs of movies on the timeline and get very few crashes but today I had a consistent one and found the solution within about an hour.

1. For some reasons there are plugins that cause fcp x to crash.
2. Sometimes it helps to create a new project within the same Library, and copy-paste the files from the timeline into the new Project and see if it still causes the crash.
3. In a few cases, I have found that for some reason, the FCP X will crash on one drive and not on another. I typically have 4-8 WD drives connected and the ones that work the best are the external 3TB or 4TB mybooks. The smaller MyPassport have given issue from time to time.

What system, version of FCP X and OS are you running? How much RAM and how much is on your timeline and what plugins are you using?

Sep 2, 2015 2:33 PM in response to Russ H

Hello,

thanks for responding.

I am using an imac OSX version 10.9.5 with a 3.5 Ghz intel core i7

memory: 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I have a 12TB exterior storage drive, journaled

I'm running FCPX 10.1.4

I've had many other issues with this software and computer.

I just finished a very large project, but did not have this same problem.

It seems that FCPX does not like SONY XDCAM footage, although I spent 2 hours on the phone being assured that FCPX could support this format. Each time I try and build a simple text title, it crashes.

it doesn't seem to happen any other time, at least in this particular project.

Sep 2, 2015 2:46 PM in response to punktv

Hello,

thanks for responding.

I am using an imac OSX version 10.9.5 with a 3.5 Ghz intel core i7

memory: 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I have a 12TB exterior storage drive, journaled

I'm running FCPX 10.1.4

I've had many other issues with this software and computer.

I just finished a very large project, but did not have this same problem.

It seems that FCPX does not like SONY XDCAM footage, although I spent 2 hours on the phone being assured that FCPX could support this format. Each time I try and build a simple text title, it crashes.

it doesn't seem to happen any other time, at least in this particular project.

Sep 2, 2015 3:04 PM in response to lzskier

Just a question - how big are the clips that you are importing? I am not sure if this matters, but if you are trying to run a 30 minute clip on the timeline, I have had challenges with FCP X on my Mac Pro. It seems to really like having the 64 gigs of ram on the Mac Pro. I use footage from the Sony NS 700 in MTS and rarely have any problems. So I also noticed that MacBook Pro with 16gb ram was "crashy" on large files.

Also, when you say "build a simple text title", and you referring to the generic FCP X titles or third party titles?
Have you tried creating a new Library, creating a Project and Copy Pasting in the timeline into the new Event?

FCPX crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.