Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S does not appear in Windows 8.1 Explorer

I've just brought a new Dell XPS 8700 online. It has Windows 8.1, 64-bit, with all the latest service packs. My AV is Norton Internet Security, latest version.

I installed iTunes 12.2.25 and connected my iPhone 5S, which is running the latest 8.4.1 software.

My problem is that while iTunes detects and syncs the iPhone beautifully, I can no longer access my iPhone in Windows Explorer in order to download photos. It simply doesn't appear. When I open Devices and Printers in Control Panel, I see two entries under "Unspecified" : the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver, and Apple iPhone. Windows reports that both of these drivers are up-to-date - not surprising as this is a clean install just today.

So, what to do? I can't be the only person to experience this problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

iPhone 5s, Windows 8

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 3:17 PM

5 replies

Sep 2, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Showbizkid

Hello, Showbizkid.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I understand you are unable to access the contents of your iPhone via Windows Explorer to import photos. The best option to import photos would be to go through the steps in the article below.

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC

Cheers

Sep 2, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Showbizkid

Showbiz,

Two suggestions to consider. First please take a look at this article to make sure all your settings are correct.

iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Secondly, try momentarily turning Norton OFF, both Active Scanner and Firewall (firewall at this point less likely to be the culprit). AV programs such as McAfee and Norton have often been a problem with iTunes, less so with Windows File Manager but nonetheless. See if your WFM will now see the phone. If it does not, then obviously, turn Norton back ON. My experience with Windows is that it often lags in recognizing flash drives and your phone will act as a camera or flash drive under Devices.

Also I recommended to another user to take two brand new junk pictures (the wall if you want) and then try again. He had a ton of pictures on his phone already but Windows would not recognize it and the 2 new ones triggered the process. See this if interested in more details.

iPhone 4 Windows 8.1 Not Recognized

Regarding AV issues with iTunes:

Welcome screen keeps coming up every time iTunes is opened

Sep 2, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Showbizkid

For what ever it is worth I had problems with McAfee last week myself and got help from a very experience forum member (see my 3rd link on my previous post). I ended up ditching McAfee which came with my ISP, installed Microsoft Security Essentials (I have W7) - you would have to use Windows Defender with W8. No problems since.... y ahora muy contento con el....

iPhone 5S does not appear in Windows 8.1 Explorer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.