Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Mac Mini As a Remote Backup

Here's my current setup:

2014 Airport Express

2011 mac mini with two internal 500GB drives, connected to the TV as a media center and connected both to the wifi network and ethernet for faster streaming

2015 MBP

I would like to use the one of the mac mini hard drives as wireless backup for my MBP. Essentially enabling Time Machine on my MBP to access that mac mini drive. I looked online and I wasn't able to find detailed instructions on how to do it. I have enabled file sharing on the mac mini, by Tim Machine doesn't see that drive. There must be a trick to this, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JA.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 1:58 PM

7 replies

Sep 1, 2015 3:56 AM in response to abedrabbo

Time Machine will only support locally connected drives, Time Capsules, and

depending on the Airport Wireless router, drives connected to it. Other sources,

if you can connect at all will be unreliable.

With that said, there is a solution to get Time Machine back up to the Mini. Purchase

OSX Sever in the MacApp Store and install it on the Mini. It provides Time Machine

services for any Mac connected on the network to any drive mounted on the Mini.

There are also a variety of other services that can be quite useful. It is only $19.99.

Check it out.

Using Mac Mini As a Remote Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.