Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am missing around 4,000 songs.

Hey, guys! I had about 6,000 songs and I transferred them all to my external drive because I was going to restore my laptop. I know they all transferred because I loaded them onto another computer so that I could edit them a bit. They were on my desktop for a while and when I transferred them back to my external drive... I assumed they were all there. However, I just noticed that I am missing around 4,000 songs. I did some research and apparently I'm not the only one who has had this problem.

Anyway, I'm not sure why this happened, but it is very disheartening. I have been accumulating music for around five years now and I only have about a fifth of it left.

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 3:00 PM

2 replies

Aug 31, 2015 7:12 PM in response to Limnos

I don't have a backup.

I'm sure that's true, BUT Apple did admit to deleting music from their competitors. I am quite positive that iCloud is what messed everything up. The funny thing is that I never used it because I didn't like the concept. I think it's too much of a hassle.

What do you mean? I transferred them from my laptop to my external drive and then to my desktop. I think iTunes updated on my desktop and then things must have went haywire. When I transferred them back, I didn't watch the entire process. When it was finished, I safely removed my external drive and didn't think anything of it. I had my drive plugged into my laptop and I searched for a song through Spotlight today, but it wasn't there. I opened my external drive and then searched for multiple artists and songs... they're mostly all missing. I know they aren't hidden somewhere. They're just gone.

I am missing around 4,000 songs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.