Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight can't find what I know is there

Hi,

Spotlight couldn't find something I'd recently written in a word doc. I opened one doc I know it's in, found it. I also tried the search bar in a window. No go.

Btw, are Spotlight and the search bar in a window the same thing?

How often does Spotlight create its index?

It appears I can force Spotlight to reindex by placing and then removing things from the 'Privacy' list.

Still the best way?

Also, I have 1 tb drive half full. Any idea how long the reindexing will take?

best

elmer

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 3:59 PM

20 replies

Sep 1, 2015 7:57 AM in response to elmerlang

Uh-oh.

It's apparently done, but that doc still doesn't show up when I search hippo.

I also added and removed Documents to the Privacy window.

Still no go. and I see other docs from 2014 aren't searchable either (I have them arranged by year).

Is it possible Word is interfering with Spotlight's search somehow, or something else?

This is a new MBP, bought in June, is that part of the problem?

Sep 1, 2015 8:07 AM in response to elmerlang

This is a diagnostic procedure. It makes no changes and therefore will not, in itself, solve the problem.

Step 1

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

syslog -F '$Time $Message' -k Sender mdworker -o -k Message Rne Norm -k Sender mds | tail | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

If any personal information appears in the output, anonymize before posting, but don’t remove the context.

Step 2

Enter the following command as in Step 1 and post the output:

mdutil -as 2>&- | pbcopy

You can then quit Terminal.

Step 3

Launch the Console application in the same way you launched Terminal. In the Console window, look under the heading DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION on the left for crash reports related to Spotlight. If you don't see that heading, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar. A Spotlight crash report has a name beginning in "mds," "mdworker," or "mdwrite," and ending in ".crash". Select the most recent such report, if any, from the System and User subcategories and post the entire contents—the text, please, not a screenshot. In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post any other kind of diagnostic report, such as hang logs—they're very long and not helpful.

When you post the results, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Sep 1, 2015 9:30 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi

Thank you very much for your help and the detailed message.

Here is what I got, nothing ending in .crash or anything worth hiding, the last 2 may have been because I hit return a couple times in Terminal to make sure I'd done it right as to browser:

9/1/15 12:06:48.169 PM mds[54]: (DiskStore.Normal:633) SDB consistency check starting

9/1/15 12:06:51.529 PM mds[54]: (DiskStore.Warning:1025) ReimportedAltNames repair issued for 157 items

9/1/15 12:07:04.492 PM mds[54]: (DiskStore.Normal:648) SDB consistency check complete for 256440 items

9/1/15 12:07:50.882 PM mds[54]: (DiskStore.Normal:2382) 8001 1.000077

9/1/15 12:12:33.303 PM mdworker[628]: code validation failed in the process of getting signing information: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-67062 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -67062.)" UserInfo=0x7fe4fbd19ca0 {SecCSArchitecture=i386}

9/1/15 12:12:33.303 PM mdworker[629]: code validation failed in the process of getting signing information: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-67062 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -67062.)" UserInfo=0x7fd831442c10 {SecCSArchitecture=i386}

MAYBE I should consider a search alternative (Easyfind, Quicksilver, Find Any File).

Sep 1, 2015 10:15 AM in response to elmerlang

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/.Spotlight-V100

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Open

from the contextual menu. A folder should open with a subfolder named ".Spotlight-V100" selected. Move the subfolder to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password.

Restart the computer in safe mode. Certain caches maintained by the system will be rebuilt.

Safe mode is much slower to start up than normal. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

When the login screen appears, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and test. There's no need to log in while in safe mode.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t start in safe mode. In that case, ask for instructions.

You can't see the folder in the Trash because it's invisible. The next time you empty the Trash, it should be deleted.

Sep 1, 2015 10:15 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have that functioning. When I type something in the search bar in a Finder window the path is shown.

Unfortunately, some searches for text are not coming up in the search results, which is odd since, this being a new MBP, all text files were transferred from my old MBP, and some show in searches but not all. Don't know if that's a Yosemite problem or what.

Spotlight can't find what I know is there

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.