Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prevent a Family's child Apple ID from downloading a previously-purchased app

I would like to prevent a child Apple ID in our Family Sharing family from downloading apps, particularly apps that have been downloaded in the past.

I can require that the child gets permission in order to install new apps, however apps that our family has previously purchased can be downloaded by the child's Apple ID without parental permission.

Suggestions? Thank you.

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 3:10 PM

That is not a feature that is currently available. See here: "If a family member downloads a previous purchase again, downloads a shared purchase, installs an update, or uses a redemption code in the store, the organizer won't get a notification."Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

You could submit feedback to Apple here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

-AJ

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2015 3:10 PM in response to Wes Plate

That is not a feature that is currently available. See here: "If a family member downloads a previous purchase again, downloads a shared purchase, installs an update, or uses a redemption code in the store, the organizer won't get a notification."Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

You could submit feedback to Apple here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

-AJ

Sep 1, 2015 10:10 AM in response to AJ397

Feedback submitted, but this seems to be a problem for parents.

It has to be common that a parent purchases an app that is not appropriate for a child. Why should a child be allowed to download it without notice?

Or in my case, the child downloaded and used an app, but that app is now off-limits. So I wish to be sure it can't be installed again, or until permission is regranted.

Oct 24, 2015 1:27 PM in response to Wes Plate

I agree with this post! I posted feedback to iTunes and icloud, I would like to confirm which department is spearheading this so that it reaches appropriate team.

I echo with the original person who posted this. There is ZERO reason why on a Family Share's child's account, they would be allowed to download anything an adult downloaded without parent permission. I don't mind the CLOUD icon visible on my child's device, but there NEEDS to be ASK PERMISSION on ALL APPS!!!

On aside note, I also noticed that songs that parent previously downloaded, do not appear with CLOUD icon on my child's device. Again this should appear with ASK PERMISSION as well.

Thank you for this post and I hope that apple will take note for future enhancements.

Prevent a Family's child Apple ID from downloading a previously-purchased app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.