Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending midi clock externally to all devices has severe problems

I did post a while ago, but it got lost in the ether I believe.

I run 2 amt8s with my setup and since logic x, when I send midi clock to all devices, the delay is terrible!!

This doesn't happen in 9. Please, can someone help.

Logic Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 5:46 PM

2 replies

Sep 2, 2015 11:15 AM in response to producer_ben

I can confirm that MIDI clock (aka MIDI Realtime messages) are more accurate in 10.2. The "MIDI Click" Environment object is also more accurate.

MIDI Time Code (MTC) is unchanged as far as I know.MIDI Time Code is based on hours:minutes:seconds:frames. MIDI Realtime messages are based on ticks-per-quarter-note. MTC is not tempo-based: MIDI Realtime is.

I cannot confirm whether pre-10.2 Logic X MIDI Realtime was better or worse than Logic 9, except anecdotally.

Anecdotally Logic 9 and Logic X 10.0-10.1 had equally less-than-perfect MIDI Realtime sync, especially across tempo changes, than 10.2 has.

When you describe latency what do you mean?

MIDI Realtime messages have a resolution of 24 ticks per quarter, and there is no beat alignment in Logic, so, as far as I know MIDI Realtime messages in Logic have always been no more accurate than within 4% of a quarter note, and never sync perfectly to a beat unless the transport is started directly on a beat, and even then the sync may not be "perfect"

Finally, are you using any global MIDI delay (Logic Pro X>Preferences>MIDI>Sync)?

Sending midi clock externally to all devices has severe problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.